Ch. 18 - Guy Problems

~ Chapter 18: Guy Problems  ~

[ Justin’s POV: ]

“Fredo?” I called out, an empty feeling rushing throughout me as I entered the hotel room I shared with my best friend. The door creaked until it fully closed and I stood helplessly, stuffing my hands into the pockets of my pants. “Alfredo?”

I cautiously stepped forward, my eyes scanning every aspect of the room and it got so quiet, I could hear the sound of my own heart beating.

“You in here?” I called out again, now taking full, determined steps towards the hallway. All of a sudden, the door to Fredo’s room burst open and he stepped out in a loud thud, scaring the living crap out of me. “OH SHIT!” I screamed out, slapping a hand to my chest. “What the hell?!”

“Oh I scared you, didn’t I?” Alfredo stared deep into my eyes, a solemn demeanor overcoming him. “You don’t fucking think you scared the shit out of me too, when you didn’t show up at all to guy’s night? I called. I texted. I worried my butt off and you have the fucking nerve to walk in here like everything is butterflies and rainbows? What the fuck where you doing that was so important that you blew me off?”

I gulped, not used to seeing him this angry.

“I’m sorry,” I whispered, gazing at the ground in shame and slipping one hand out of my pocket to grab my other arm.

“I’m afraid that’s not enough to make me forgive you yet. Now answer me. Where were you?” he crossed his arms.

My eyes immediately met his. “Who do you think you are, my fucking mother?!” I spat.

Alfredo’s eyebrows raised, clearly indicating that he was shocked by my sudden anger. He slowly uncrossed his arms, staring at me with a wide variety of annoyance.

“How about I rephrase that?” he growled lowly. “Why’d you ditch our plans together without at least letting me know?”

I slowly began to feel bad for my actions. Alfredo didn’t deserve that. And he certainly does not deserve bad attitude from me at this very moment. He didn’t do anything wrong, I did.

“I don’t know what’s wrong with me,” I sighed.

Alfredo let out a breath of air and ran a hand through his hair while stepping closer towards me. He forced a smile and spoke with a much warmer tone. “As my buddy, can you be honest with me? I’m not asking to be snoopy or anything but what exactly happened? You’ve never ditched guy’s night with any of your pals before, specially not me.”

I licked my lips, leaning my back on the wall and slowly sliding down until my butt hit the floor.

“Alicia texted me yesterday,” I confessed, playing with my thumbs. Alfredo was silent, and I could tell he wasn’t happy with what I had just said. “She said she’s been meaning to meet with me and… She wanted to do it immediately.” When Fredo still didn’t say anything, I continued. “I ended up going, but I specifically told her I was in a hurry—that I had plans with you. Things were going okay… She… She told me that she heard heartbreaker and we talked for a bit. Long story short… We’re back together.”