Ch. 11 - San (Die)go

~ Chapter 11: San (Die)go  ~

[ Jackie’s POV: ]

It was officially settled that Justin and I would leave shortly after breakfast to get me back to San Diego. Let me just tell ya, the car ride was extremely awkward. Not only were none of us speaking a single word as the uncomfortable silence engulfed our lungs, but I couldn’t stop thinking about what Justin told me just earlier–that kidrauhl is dead. I could tell he knew that that’s what I was thinking about, which only made everything even more awkward than it already was, if that was even possible. It’s a 2-hour car ride and we’re probably not going to say a word to each other throughout that entire time.

I bit my lip, remaining my eyes locked on the moving objects outside the car window as we passed by them in a fast speed. I let out a small sigh and slowly leaned forward, turning on the radio and letting the music seep through the speakers. I didn’t crank it to a loud volume, but just enough to silence the silence, if that makes any sense.

The minute I turned on the radio, I felt Justin’s eyes look at me briefly before he turned his attention back on the road.

“Turn that down,” he whispered, and I looked at him instantly.

It’s not even loud, I felt like saying to him, but kept my mouth shut and lowered the volume like a good girl.

“More,” he cleared his throat. I lowered it further. “More.” I turned the radio off. “That’s better.”

I eyed him as if he was crazy. “What, you don’t like music all of a sudden?” I asked. “You know, considering you’re actually in the industry?”

“I just want peace and quiet,” he simply replied. “I need to think.”

“What are you thinking of?” I blurted out, not regretting it afterwards since I really wanted to know.

“Nothing you need to worry about,” he said calmly, his attention mainly on the road ahead.

“Here’s the thing,” I began, “Nothing you need to worry about usually means that I really do need to worry about it.”

Justin laughed, glancing at me quickly and relaxing in his seat. “Jackie, it’s okay. I’m alright.”

That’s not what it looked like the entire time this morning. What’s with him? One minute he’s fine and the next he’s more depressed than I am when someone promises me chocolate and then shows up empty handed.

I’m not even joking, that happened once and I cried for 8 hours.

“You sure?” I asked dubiously, leaving out the part about kidrauhl.

“I’m sure,” he nodded. I didn’t say much after that and neither did he. I didn’t even bother to attempt to turn the radio on again, but it sure as hell was tempting.