Ch. 55 - You And Me

~ Chapter 55: You And Me  ~

[ Justin’s POV: ]

When Jackie and I arrived at her house, it was exactly how I remembered it. Everything was neat and polished and the sunlight was seeping clearly through the windows.

“Are your parents home?” I asked, watching as she locked the door.

Jackie slowly shook her head. “They’re on a trip.” I was gonna ask her another question about that but she quickly added, “You want a drink?”

“Uh, yeah, that’d be nice,” I said.

“Alright, I’ll be back. You can sit anywhere you want,” she smiled, before disappearing into the kitchen.

I let out a long sigh and plopped myself down on the couch. I couldn’t help but notice that Jackie never talks about her parents much and I began wondering why.

Maybe that Tyler guy knows. Him and Jackie seem so close and, I hate to admit it, but I envy him. He knows the things about Jackie I wish I knew myself. He’s had long conversations with her. He’s had multiple dates with her. I don’t even want to think about the times he’s kissed her. And I know I can’t really break up their relationship, but I’ll definitely regret it later if I were to leave without telling her how I felt. And now that I have, there’s been so much weight lifted from my shoulders.

I began drifting into thoughts until I heard Jackie’s footsteps coming back from the kitchen. I looked up to see she held two glasses of lemonade, and she sat down next to me, handing me a glass.

“Thanks,” I said, taking the cup and swallowing a gulp of it.

Jackie let out a small giggle before taking a sip from hers. “You’re welcome.” It was silent for a few seconds before she spoke up again. “So how was the tour?”

I held the glass of lemonade carefully with both hands as I stared at the ground.

How was the tour? Well, you weren’t by my side.

That’s what I felt like saying. But I knew I was the only one to blame for that.

“It was nice,” I spoke softly. “It was a relief to be in front of my beliebers again.”

“You really love us, don’t you?” Jackie asked. I looked up to see her holding back a smile.

“What kind of question is that?” I scoffed playfully. “That’s like asking you guys if you love me. Which I hope the answer is yes.”

Jackie laughed and nodded. “It is, don’t worry.”

We continued to have small conversations like that, until we both finished our drinks and Jackie offered to return the glasses to the kitchen.