Chapter 64: Falling from Heaven

Meeting her was probably the best thing ever! Falling in love was probably the worst thing ever!

~~~

Many men died again in this expedition... Over 500 lost to the titans and yet it always seems to be my good men who die first. Those reckless idiots fighting for a reason to get out of bed and yet they died, for their beloved Captain.

Levi walked through the crowd of people who yelled and complained about their lost children. Levi was quiet use to this so he easily put on a black face as people screamed for his attention.

He first stopped to apologize to his teams families. He wanted to tell them he was sorry for not being a good enough captain and letting them die on his account.

He was also quiet use to seeing tears fall from loved ones. He still kept on his black face even though on the inside he too was shedding tears.

After dealing with many sad family members and signing more paper work he decided it would be best if he lied down and sleep.

Of course he couldn't though and instead just lied there starring at the ceiling like most days. He could still hear the screams of his comrades. The blood splashed everywhere in his memories and those were only two of the reasons he couldn't sleep.

When he finally did get to sleep it was already 5 am and he would only have an hour before getting back up for drills with new recruits. Even though it has been a day since the expedition it didn't mean they could lay around. Levi had to trail a new squad.

"Do you think you have what it takes to be a Survey Corps solider?!" Erwin Smith yelled loudly to the fairly large group of newbies. They all had fear but a few in particular caught Levi eyes such as, a young lady named Petra. She was a daughter to a noble but was disowned after betraying her father with going against his wishes and joining the army.

It was amusing to Levi to see how bright but nervous her eyes were.

"This is Captain Levi Ackerman. He is one of our best soldiers and will be choosing only the best of the best to join his squad!" Erwin yelled out and that's when Levi walked out to the crowd. They all stood even more straight and even started to sweat just staring at him.

"Gross..."

After many hours of waiting those who stayed after Erwin let them free were accepted as Survey Corps members.

Everyone trained many long days and weeks trying their best to prove they were the best. After 4 weeks of the new recruit s joining all the squad leaders got together to watch as everyone showed how good they were in the final test.

Levi wasn't exactly happy about this since he would have to kill more people, but truly he would rather be the one to drag them to their deaths then Hanji or Mike.

"Petra Ral, your next."

She first started with a bow before rushing into the air with both of her swords tightly in her hands ready to fight. She tried and successfully saved as much compacted air in her tanks as she could. 

While keeping her guard she took the first fake titan down easily along with many others, her speed was almost as great as Levi's which impressed him. She kept her focus but fear and worry kept circling in her eyes. 

After about 7 fake titans it was on to the real ones that Levi and others squad leaders captured for this project. Yet Mike had to hold Hanji down while Petra killed the titans since she clammed them as her 'babies'. 

What Petra was suppose to do was plan a strategy to escape a trapped corner with 2 titans while another went after a fake human. He objective was to save the fake human and yes, many soldiers watched so if she did get in trouble they would step in.