The Audition

Breathe. You will be fine. Nathan is thinking about you.

"Harper. If you'd like to follow me. We are ready for you." Says the women.

Me, my grandad, my nan, Rachel and Lily follow the woman to the wings of the stage. I start to shake, but calm down when my grandad whispers something in my ear.

"Good things come, to those who wait." Says my grandad.

I smile to myself.

"Ok, three, two, one." Says the man.

I walk on stage and my legs are shaking. I stand on the x and put the microphone on the stand. I tuck a piece of hair behind my ear and then Rita Ora is the first person to speak up.

"Hi. What's your name?" Asks Rita.

"My name is Harper Montgomery." I say.

"And how old are you Harper?" Asks Rita.

"I'm 26 years old." I say.

"And who are you with today?" Asks Rita.

"I'm here with my nan, my grandad, my auntie and my daughter. My mum sad key passed away just over a year ago and my husband is deployed in Afghanistan." I say.

"What do you do for a living?" Asks Rita.

"I own a bridal boutique." I say.

"Can I ask, how old is your daughter?" Says Rita.

"She'll be one year's old on July the first." I say.

"Ok. What are you going to be singing for us today?" Asks Rita.

"I was originally going to sing I won't give up by Jason Mraz, but since my husband joined the army, I'm going to sing fight song by Rachel Platten." I say.

"Ok. When you're ready Harper." Says Rita.

I wait about 5 seconds before the music starts. I can feel myself shaking, but once I begin to sing, all of that worrying goes away.

"Like a small boat. On the ocean. Sending big waves. Into motion. Like how a single word. Can make a heart open. I might only have one match. But I can make and explosion. And all those things I didn't say. Were wrecking balls inside my brain. I will scream them loud tonight. Can you hesr my voice this time? This is my fight song. Take back my life song. Prove I'm alright song. My power's turned on. Starting right now I'll be strong. I'll play my fight song. I don't really care if nobody else believes. Cause I've still got a lot of fight left in me."

My nerves have calmed down a bit, but are still there. Every now and then, I look at my beautiful family who are waiting in the wings.

"Loosing friends and I'm chasing sleep. Everybody's worried 'bout me. Into deep. Said I'm into deep. And its been five years. I miss my home. There's a fire burning in my bones. I still believe. Yeah I still believe. And all of those things I didn't say. Were wrecking balls inside my brain. I will scream them loud tonight. Can you hear my voice this time? This is my fight song. Take back my life song. Prove I'm alright song. My power's turned on. Starting right now i'll be strong. Ill play my fight song. And I don't really care if nobody else believes. Cause I've still got a lot of fight left in me. A lot of fight leg in me. Like a small boat. On the ocean. Sending big waves. Into motion. Like how a single word. Can make a heart open. I might only have one match. But I can make an explosion. This is my fight song. Take back my life song. Prove I'm alright song. My power's turned on. Starting right now I'll be strong. I'll play my fight song and I don't really care if nobody else believes. Cause I've still got a lot of fight left in me."

As soon as I finish the song, I automatically get a standing ovation. Tears begin to roll down my cheeks and I wish that Nathan could be here. The crowd settles down and Simon speaks up.

"Can I just say, I wasn't expecting that. That was one of the best auditions we have seen so far." Says Simon.

Cheryl.

"How long have you been singing Harper?" Asks Cheryl.

"Um, well. I have always loved singing as a kid, but that was only my second performance in front of as many people as 300." I say.

"I could see you were nervous at the start, but when you got into the song, you were really enjoying yourself. Overall, a fantastic performance." Says Cheryl.

Rita.

"That was amazing. Absolutely amazing. You have such a strong voice and I can see big things for you." Says Rita.

Nick.

"Harper. I'm going to have to be honest. I didn't like it." Says Nick.

My heart drops and the audience boo's.

"I loved it." Says Nick.

The audience explores with a round of applause and I start smiling again.

"Simon." Says Rita.

"I'm gonna kick this vote of with a yes." Says Simon.

The crowd begins to cheer and it continues through all four of my yes's.

"Thank you so much." I say.

I walk of stage, but few moments later, I find myself back on it.

"Harper. Who did you say you were here with today?" Asks Rita.

"My nan, my grandad, my auntie and my daughter." I say.

"Where's your husband?" Asks Rita.

"He's in Afghanistan." I say.

"I bet you wish he was here today?" Says Rita. I nod my head.

"Well we have a letter for you. Do you mind of I read it?" Asks Rita.

I nod my head.

"Dear Harper. I love you so, so much and I'm so sorry I couldn't be there to cheer you on. I'm so sorry that I can't be there to watch you. I love you so much and I want you to know what I'm thinking of you every day. I am so proud of you and I know you are going to do well. All my love." Says Rita.

I start crying a lot.

"Do you know who that's from?" Asks Rita.

I nod my head.

"Who's it from Harper?" Asks Rita.

"My husband." I say.

"You know, no matter where he is, he will always be in here." Says Rita.

She puts her hand on her heart.

"And he will also be over there." Says Rita, pointing to where my family are standing.

I turn my head and see Nathan standing in his full army outfit. I go onto my knees and start crying as Nathan walks towards me with a bunch of roses. He helps me up and I hug him. He then kisses me and I'm sure he can feel the tears that are falling from my eyes like a waterfall. We can hear the crowd awwwwing and cheering, but it only feels like me and Nathan are the only ones in the room.