The Life Changing Bombshell

"I'm your dad."

"I'm sorry. You must have mistaken me for someone else. I'm not your daughter." I say.

I try to close the door, but his foot stops it.

"Please. Hear me out." Says my suspected dad.

"Fine." I say.

I open the door a bit more.

"When me and your mum met, I was 20 and she was only 17. She invited me to a party and that's were you were conceived." Says the 45 year old man who is standing in front of me.

I let him come in and sit on the couch as it is cold outside.

"Carry on." I say.

"When I found out she was pregnant, I freaked out and walked away. I was never around and I regret that decision so much." Says the man.

"Hold on. I don't even know your name." I say.

"Lucas." Says the man.

"Ok. Um." I say.

Lucas looks around and notices the toys I haven't tidied.

"Do you have children?" Asks Lucas.

"Yeah. A daughter. She's 17 months." I say.

"You must be about, what, 25 now?" Asks Lucas.

"27." I say.

"Married?" Asks Lucas.

"Yes. My husband, Nathan, also Lily's dad, is in the army." I say.

There's a pause.

"Hold on. Why am I answering all these questions without knowing if you are my real father or not?" I say.

"About a year after I left your mum, we bumped into each other. I spent about  day with you before I never saw you again. All your mother gave me was your name and a few pictures." Says Lucas.

He shows me the pictures and they are definatley me.

"Oh my God." I say through tears.

"I want to be a part of your life. Of my grandaughters life. I missed out on your first word your first steps. I don't want to miss out on anything else." Says Lucas.

"So. You are definitely my biological dad?" I ask.

"Yes. You can have a DNA test to prove it if you want." Says Lucas.

"No. I believe you." I say.

"Maybe me, you and your mum should talk." Says Lucas.

"Lucas. She died." I say.

He cups his hands around his mouth and then he sits up straight.

"I'm so sorry." Says Lucas.

"It's ok. She had a good life." I say.

"Did she have anymore children?" Asks Lucas.

"No. Did you?" I ask.

"No. I felt like I was replacing you. I couldn't bare to see one child and not the other." Says Lucas.

There's a bit of tension in the air, but it's interpreted by Lily's crying. Again.

"Is that?" Says Lucas.

"Lily. Yes. I'll be right back." I say.

I leave the room, still crying and get Lily out of he cot. I tell her she has to walk downsgairs because of my leg. We sit back on the couch and Lily sits on my lap.

"Lily. Say hi." I say.

Lily burry's her face in the crook of my neck.

"Lily. Say hello to your grandad." I say.

She lifts her head up and a word manages to escape her mouth.

"Hi." Says Lily.

"Can I hug her?" Asks Lucas.

I nod my head to his request.

"I love you. And your mummy." Says Lucas.

He kisses the top of her head and then passes her back to me. We move so she can sleep on the couch and then w go into the kitchen so she isn't disturbed.

"Can I ask you a question?" I say.

"Of course." Says Lucas.

"Why did you not come and find me all those years ago?" I ask.

"Harper. Your mum. I tried to get in contact with you every single year, but your mum wouldn't allow it. She said she was scared of me leaving again." Says Lucas.

"Look. I'm going on the Ellen Degeneres Show soon. I only have one extra ticket. I'm giving it to my mum's sister, Rachel. I might be able to request for one more." I say.

"Ok. I don't want it to end here. Can we meet up for coffee tomorrow?" Asks Lucas.

"Yes. I can come on my break." I say.

We walk to the front door.

"Bye dad." I smwhisper in his ear as we share a much needed hug.

"I love you. So, so much. I have never stopped think if about you. I am so sorry I wasn't there." Says Lucas.

"It's ok." I say.

"Before I go. Can I have a glad of water?" Asks Lucas.

Weird. Why would he want a glass of water. Couldn't he just get one from the corner shop?

I get him one, pass it to him and then he looks at me. My name is being called, but his mouth isn't moving. I stumble back a bit and then Lucas throws the water over my face. I scream at the shock, but when I open my eyes, my dad isn't there and I'm in my bed with Lily sleeping on Nathan's side.

"What?" I say as I sit up.

"You were screaming. I heard you from outside." Says Dion.

"Oh." I say.

"Did you have a bad dream?" Asks Dion.

"No. A good dream. My dad was at the door." I say.

"Oh. What was he like?" Asks Dion.

"Kind, sweet. Shame it wasn't real." I say.

"Oh well." Says Dion.

"What's the time?" I ask.

"8:30." Says Dion.

"Shoot. Can you wake Lily up please and get her dressed whilst I get myself dressed?" I say.

"Yes of course." I say.

I get out of bed and then get dresse an washed I soon find myself driving to work. I can drive because it's my left leg that has a boot and I normally push the pedals with my right. I drop Lily off at nursery and then go to work. When I get there, two of my employees are already working.

"Harper. What happened?" Asks Connor.

"I fell down the stairs in my garden." I say.

"You should be at hime resting." Says Connor.

"I know. But it's boring. I needed to get out of the house." I say.

My workers force me to sit behind the front desk so I can rest my leg as much as possible.

"That'll be £2675 please." I say.

The woman pays for her dress by card and then leaves. It's about 3 pm and its just me, Connor and Rosie.