7- "Disloyalty" Leads to Trouble

Chapter Inspiration:

- At the End of the Day ~ Les Mis (2012) cast

I woke up earlier than usual the next morning. I slipped out of bed and quickly got dressed. Hermione would most likely corner me and ask about Seamus, and I was too confused to be interrogated. 

I ended up at the library and read for three hours.

~

I sat at breakfast next to Hermione, watching Ron read a book while eating a sausage on a fork. Ginny, who sat next to him, wrinkled her nose in disgust. He kinda ate like a pig. "Do you ever stop eating?" Hermione asked. He shrugged and took another bite. "What? I'm hungry."

I snorted quietly, noticing Harry walking towards us. I gave him a small smile and watched him stand in front of me and Hermione. "Can I join you?" He asked quietly. I frowned, about to say of course, but noticed Ron and Hermione sharing a look. Why were they being so hesitant?

Just as Hermione opened her mouth to answer him, loud voices could be heard from the main staircase. Harry and I walked out the door to see what was going on.

Professor McGonagall was on the stairs talking to Umbridge. This isn't going to end well. "Pardon me, professor, but what exactly are you insinuating?" Umbridge asked, taking a step up. McGonagall took a step up too and replied, "I am merely requesting that when it comes to my students, you conform to the prescribed disciplinary practices."

I smirked smugly. Finally, someone who understands where I'm coming from! "So silly of me, but it sounds as if you’re questioning my authority in my own classroom…Minerva." That toad of a woman took another step up. McGonagall stepped up too and coldly said, "Not at all, Dolores, merely your medieval methods."

"I am sorry, dear. But to question my practices is to question the Ministry and by extension, the minister himself. I am a tolerant woman but the one thing I will not stand for is disloyalty." McGonagall took a step down. "Disloyalty."

Umbridge stood on the highest step and addressed everyone who was watching. "Things at Hogwarts
are far worse than I feared. Cornelius will want to take immediate action." As I walked with Harry back to the Great Hall to finish breakfast, I murmured under my breath to him, "This is not going to end well. I almost wish we had Lockhart again. At least he let us use magic."

Harry harrumphed and sat down at the table.

~

Ron and I were sitting in the courtyard, doing a Q&A session for the upcoming History of Magic test. "Okay what year—" Hermione ran up and shoved our papers off the empty spot on the bench. She sat down, looking livid.

"Hermione...?" I asked weakly. "Come with me, she's done something horrible." I furrowed my eyebrows, but shuffled my papers into my bag and followed her, Ron right behind me. She took us to the main hallway and there was a lot of people standing around. What was even weirder was that Filch was standing around, looking pleased.

Okay something's definitely going on. If Filch is looking happy then something terrible has happened. I made my way to the front to see something hanging on the brick wall. A piece of official-looking parchment was inside a case. It read;

Proclamation Educational Degree No. 23

Dolores Jane Umbridge has been appointed to the post of Hogwarts High Inquisitor.