68- Tricked

Chapter Inspiration:

- Hit Me With Your Best Shot ~ Pat Benatar

I sat my bag down next to my cot and turned to look at Susan and Lucy, my new roommates. Edmund, Peter, and Caspian had a room down the hall. Poor Ed. Since Caspian and Peter weren't too fond of each other, it was probably going to be annoying for him.

Speaking of Edmund, he sprinted into the room, out of breath. "A...Telmarine soldier...was spotted near the edge of the forest. Whew!" I walked over to him and patted his back. "You my friend need one of my running routines. You're so out of shape."

Edmund glowered at me. "I'm sorry that Hendon House doesn't have large areas for running." I frowned. That name sounded familiar. Brushing it aside, I asked, "Is there a meeting commencing?" Ed nodded and showed us out.

We followed him to the Stone Table, where everyone was gathered. Peter and Caspian stood at the center of the room, watching us. Peter nodded his thanks to Edmund and started to speak. "It's only a matter of time. Miraz's men and war machines are on their way. That means those same men aren't protecting his castle."

I frowned. What was he thinking? Reepicheep asked, "What do you propose we do, Your Majesty?" Peter and Caspian started to talk at the same time. "We need to get ready for it." "To start planning for-" Peter shot Caspian a look, and he stopped talking.

"Our only hope is to strike them before they strike us." Peter continued. Surprisingly, Caspian spoke up again. "But that's crazy. No one has taken that castle." Caspian is right, I realized. Peter thought that they had ten or twenty men protecting the castle. No, hundreds of soldiers were harbored in the soldier quarters.

"There's always a first time." Peter shrugged. "We'll have the element of surprise." Trumpkin surprisingly agreed with Peter. "But we have the advantage here!" Caspian countered. Susan stood up. "If we dig in, we could probably hold them off indefinitely." Peter shot her a look that screamed 'Who's side are you on?!'

"I, for one, feel safer underground." Trufflehunter put in. "Look. I appreciate what you've done here, but this isn't a fortress. It's a tomb." Peter told Caspian. "Yes. And if they're smart, the Telmarines will just wait and starve us out." Edmund agreed.

"We could collect nuts!" Patterwig suggested. Reepicheep rolled his tiny eyes. "Yes! And throw them at the Telmarines. Shut up!" He snapped sarcastically. "Don't worry about food. I've got it covered." I reassured.

Peter opened his mouth to say something to me, but was cut off by Reepicheep again. "I think you know where I stand, Sire." Peter forgot whatever he was going to say to me and turned to Glenstorm. "If I get your troops in, can you handle the guards?" The Centaur thought for a moment.

"Or die trying, my liege." He answered with a nod. Suddenly, an idea popped into my head. I remembered when we tried to cross the river in Beruna and couldn't because the Telmarines had set up shop there. They had catapults, ballistas, other weapons, and were building a bridge. They could get to us easily when the bridge was completed.

I opened my mouth to speak my idea, but was cut off by Lucy. "That's what I'm worried about." Peter turned to her with a confused look. "Sorry?" She shrugged and said, "You're all acting like there's only two options. Dying here, or dying there." "I'm not sure you've been listening, Lu." Peter told her. "Um, Pete?" I asked quietly. He didn't heard me, for Lucy said, "No, you're not listening. Or have you forgotten who really defeated the White Witch, Peter?"

"Peter?" I tried again. He clenched his jaw and turned away from his sister. "I think we've waited for Aslan long enough." He turned to go and I leaned against the wall, sighing. I felt hurt. After all, I am-was?-his second in command!

Shouldn't he be verifying his plans with me? Asking for my opinion or thoughts? Some important war figure I am. Just as he reached the door, Edmund called out, annoyed, "By the Mane, Peter! Laurel has something to say." He whipped around and looked at Ed and then me. I looked down at my hands and nodded.

"Why didn't you say anything?" He sighed, coming back. I shot a glare at Peter. "Trust me, I tried. Twice. Thanks Ed." He nodded and urged me to speak my mind. I stood up and limped to the center of the room. "My idea is not exactly one that could ultimately defeat Miraz, but something to build on. If it were to be used, and succeeded, it would buy us a huge mass of time for us to carefully plan out our overthrow."

Peter, along with everyone else, looked intrigued. "Go on." I wrung my hands together as I walked in a small circle. "Remember how the Telmarines are building a bridge and other weapons by the river?" Peter and the others nodded.

"I was thinking that we could destroy all their stuff and the bridge. They couldn't get to us and they'd have no large weapons that could destroy us. If I'm correct, it doesn't require a lot of people, in fact barely anyone at all." I bit my lip as I studied Peter's impassive face.

"I think it's a good idea. How would we destroy the stuff without being seen? How many people exactly does it require?" My stomach dropped. Oh no. He's not going to like the answer. "The thing is...I wouldn't need anyone...I'd go alone and use my magic."

Peter stared at me incredulously before shouting, "NO! No, I take it back. You cannot do it alone." My jaw dropped. "Peter, this is completely unfair! I don't see anyone else here who can do what I can!" Peter shook his head. "We're not doing it. It's too risky."

He turned around and started to leave again. "How can you possibly say that?! If we did my plan, it'd just be risking my life instead of half the army!" Peter turned and gave me a warning look. "Just stop, Laurel." I marched towards him, limping slightly, and jabbed his chest with my index finger.

"No! You stop and listen for once! You need a simple plan where nothing could go wrong. Yours has too many variables, Peter! Too many things can go wrong. I'm just one soldier. That's nothing compared to half of the entire army. I can't protect everyone." A hard, unfeeling look crossed his face. His eyes were a stinging, ice blue. Not like the ocean blue I loved.

"We are doing my plan and that is final. My word is law, Laurel." He strode off to who knows where, leaving me pissed off beyond belief. I felt Caspian's hand on my shoulder, but I jerked it off. "This is a suicide mission you lot are agreeing with." I spat, storming out of the room.

~

I sliced a dummy's chest and rolled between its legs, kicking and slashing one behind me. I did this another ten times before stopping to break. Wiping the beads of sweat off my face, I stood up and sheathed Fortis.

"That was impressive." A voice complemented me gently. I scowled, turning away from the voice. "Go away, Peter! Congratulations on getting your way, like always, but I'm not in the mood for your gloating." He stepped forward and leaned against a dummy. "I'm sorry we can't agree on a plan."

I stabbed another dummy. "So...am I. I thought I was your right hand...woman." I stated through gritted teeth. I jumped as I felt a hand grip my waist softly. I turned to see guilt and sorrow in his eyes. "I really am sorry." Suddenly, Peter threw me over his shoulder and carried me to the How.

I kicked, screamed, and punched him, but he wouldn't let go. What the fuck is going on?! A stream of colorful words flew from my mouth as we rounded the corner to the tactics room. The door was shut behind us and locked from the outside.

He put me down and I backed away to the side of the room. In the center of the room was the planning table with a glowing visual screen with several different angles of the Telmarine castle. I had placed that there when we took a tour of the place.

"You're not coming with us, Laurel." Peter told me firmly. Cold metal snapped onto my wrists. I looked down in horror to see Trumpkin locking cuffs to my wrists, chaining me to the wall. But they weren't any old pair of chains. They were the ones gifted to me from Dumbledore.