39- To Love is to Destroy

Chapter Inspiration:

- I'll Make a Man Out of You ~ Mulan

- Distance ~ Christina Perri

Peter was finishing his third dance with a Maenad named Jules when Aslan made His way to them. "Aslan." Peter said, stopping their dancing. The Maenad bowed and told Peter goodbye. He waved to her halfheartedly and turned back to the Lion.

"Did you find her?" he asked urgently. The Lion looked at him with solemn eyes. He will most definitely not like the answer. "Yes Peter, I did." Peter waited for Him to say more. "But I'm afraid I could not convince her to come with me."

Peter blew out his cheeks, running a frustrated hand through his hair. "Ed saw her earlier, but lost her in the crowd." Aslan chuckled. "She has quite the persistence, you have to give her that. I have a suggestion though that may help." Peter's head shot up with a desperate look claiming his features. "Anything."

~

I sat against the wall of my room. How long I've been there, I don't know. Probably several hours because the sun was going down. My stomach rumbled and I groaned, getting up from my spot against the door.

I walked to my vanity and made myself some lily tea. As I drank it, my hunger disappeared and I felt slightly better. I wrinkled my nose as I examined my puffy, red eyes. Crying was for the weak, but if I had to do it, it had to be when I'm alone.

I walked to my balcony and opened the doors. The cool air welcomed me as I padded to the railing. I was still wearing my dress, but had taken the dagger off. The party had ended a few hours ago, luckily resulting in quietness.

I sat on the railing and watched the sky that was full of stars and the full moon. It was, once again, a beautiful sight. "Laurel!" My head jerked to the side and I saw Peter standing on his balcony. I stiffened and backed away, my eyes wide.

His hair was messy, like he had been sleeping, and his blue eyes had a sparkle in them. He saw me trying to get to the door and shook his head. "Laurel I just want to talk. Please." My chest ached so bad it was unbearable.

I needed him. No, no you don't. That would be selfish, and besides he is the High King. He doesn't and couldn't like you. You. Are. A. Witch. I listened to my thoughts and shut the balcony doors, my eyes glassy. I should've thought of this, but I was scared crapless when I heard a knock on my door.

"Laurel open up." He sounded annoyed and tired. I backed up and swallowed hard. "I'm busy Pe-Your Grace." I told him in a hard voice. I couldn't call him Peter anymore, he was the High King and it would be disrespectful. "Open up now. And don't you dare start calling me those names." He groaned impatiently.

I clutched my necklace and hid between the bed and the nightstand just as the door opened. I put an invisibility force field over me and gaped quietly as he walked around my room. "Laurel I know you're in here. I just want to talk."

He sat down on the edge of my bed and brushed a post with his hand. "What happened? Things were going great and then...then you shut us out. I don't like this feeling of being avoided." I squeezed my eyes shut as a tear trickled down my face.

"Please, I want things to be good between us. Tell me what I can do. Anything." My heart was beating at an unhealthy rate, all thanks to him and his charming words. I sucked in a quiet breath and watched as he stood up and left. After the door shut, I popped the force field and stood up, stretching my sore back.

His words only made me feel guiltier, but it was for his and my own good. As I changed into a nightshift, I looked at myself in the mirror and said, "You're just a bomb waiting to explode. You'll only bring him and the others down."