89- Narrowhaven Part 2

Chapter Inspiration:

- Roar ~ Katy Perry

I had a pounding headache. But I kept my eyes closed, the sounds of civilization not helping my head at all. With my eyes closed, I carefully tried to move my hands to figure out where I was. I could feel chains gripping my wrists, imprisoning me. Beneath my fingertips, I felt the coarse, rocky ground, telling me that I was outside.

I had to refrain from flinching as an arm brushed mine. Suddenly, a voice whispered, "Laurel? Laurel please wake up. I'm scared." My eyes snapped open the second the voice stopped talking. Ignoring the opportunity to look around our location, I turned my head to Lucy's shaking form. I saw her expression giving away her fear, tears residing in the corners of her eyes.

Her expression turned from scared to relieved, seeing me awake. I gripped her hand, running my thumb over her knuckles. "Shh, I know, Lu. I know. Don't you worry, we'll get out of this okay, I promise you." Lucy sucked in a shaky breath and that's when I realized we had iron chains around our necks, connecting to the wall behind us.

I turned my head slightly to look down the line. Fauns, children, women, a few men, and Eustace were also connected to the wall. Eustace, sat next to Lucy, looked very fearful, but glared when he saw me watching him.

Rolling my eyes, I watched as a cart came rattling down the street, carrying fearful men and women. A man raced after the cart, trying to move through the two guards. He shoved one, only to get slapped to the ground by the other. What I presumed to be his daughter screamed after the cart, "Mummy!" I picked out a woman watching with a sad expression, who I presumed to be the one the two were calling after.

"Helaine!" The man shouted, getting up from the ground. The woman yelled, "Rhince!" Their little girl clung to Rhince, screaming again, "Mummy!" Tears clouded my vision as I watched them. Lucy squeezed my hand and I knew she was now crying. I squeezed back, seeing Helaine tell her daughter, "Stay with Daddy!"

I noticed the cart getting closer to the docks and wondered what they were doing there. "Don't worry I'll find you!" Rhince promised. A tear slipped down my nose, leaving me to hastily wipe it before anyone saw. The cart pulled to a stop and men at the docks roughly shoved the prisoners into a boat. We watched as the boat was pushed out to sea.

They drifted a little bit further and then something weird happened. The sky darkened only over the channel and a bright, lime green mist rose from the water and shot towards the boat. My throat tightened as the boat disappeared. "Where did they go?" Lucy whispered. I shook my head. "I don't know."

Suddenly, the slave traders came back with the keys. They unlocked us from the wall, leaving the neck and wrist chains on. It pressed into my throat, making it a little hard to breathe. We were walked to the marketplace where tens of men looked through their pickings. It sickened me.

I couldn't help, but feel abandoned by the crew of the Dawn Treader. It was made very clear to Reepicheep that if they heard a lion's roar, they were to send help. Pushing down the bitterness, I realized that I was going fourth. My hands turned clammy while my heart pumped violently, panicking. When all four were sold, I was roughly shoved up onto the stone deck. The slave trader started to advertise me.

"Here we have this very attractive young lady. A little bit fiesty and has quite strong muscles. She'd be perfect for any job you need done." I shut my eyes hard, praying that this was just a horrific nightmare. Sadly, it was not a nightmare. "Do we have any bidders?" A man shook his money in the air, yelling, "I bid 80!"

"I bid 100!" "120!" "130!" "145!" There were no more bids after that. A sign was put around my neck as the slave trader announced, "Sold for 145!" I was roughly shoved off the deck and into the crowd, where the man stood with greedy eyes. He gripped my waist, watching the bidding continue. My pulse was through the roof with fear.