30- Empty

Woo hoo two updates today. You guys are too amazing. :) This chapter is a little sad, but I think many, MANY of you will enjoy the next one. It's kind of special. *COUGH* *COUGH* Have a lovely day.

Chapter Inspiration:

- Wide Awake ~ Katy Perry

As I ways crying, I thought I saw something gold. I wiped away the tears forming in my eyes, only making them fall. I watched in awe as Aslan Himself walked towards me, sorrow and pity in His kind eyes. "Aslan, p-please help me." I stuttered, tears falling.

He shook His head. "I'm sorry, my child. It's too late." I started to sob harder when I felt Him come closer, I wrapped my arms around His large neck and cried into His soft fur, grateful that the Lion didn't object. "The pain will go away, Laurel. I can promise you that. But it is sorrows like these that make you stronger. What helps is to have a shoulder to lean on. You must tell the others what happened."

I looked up and met His gaze. "Will I be going soon?" He hummed. "Yes, I think so. The time is near." Those words reminded me of a Les Misérables song. A small, thin smile appeared on my face. "Go." He whispered. I looked up and walked to the staircase, but didn't start running until I said, "Thank you Aslan." He smiled and nodded.

I ran down the steps two at a time and through the hallways, watching battles going on. I spotted Bill Weasley and realized that the Order was here. Greyback, Bill's opponent, scratch across his face. "NO!" I screeched.

I bolted forward and punched him in the face hard. Drawing out my wand quickly, I shouted, "Orbis!" Pleased, I watched, as Greyback was sucked into the ground. I turned to Bill and looked at his bloody face. "Bill, oh my gosh are you alright?"

He shook his head, worrying me. "He's made me one of them. I'm a werewolf." He told me sullenly, showing me a bloody bite mark on his neck. I gasped quietly. "Dumbledore's dead." I mutterd, my eyes watering. His eyes widened. "No." I nodded tears falling down my face. "I saw it with my own eyes and I couldn't do anything."

He squeezed my shoulder. "I'll spread the word. Hey, it's gonna be okay. Where's Harry?" I frowned and then realized he'd gone after Snape. "He'll be fine. C'mon, let's go." I followed him and dueled Death Eaters when necessary.

~

I used Petrificus Totalus on a Death Eater and looked around for Bill. I found him staring at the courtyard and realized that people were starting to gather. I tried to swallow the lump in my throat and followed him.

Harry sitting in front of Dumbledore's body, a locket in his hand. Must be a Horcrux. He was sobbing and I don't blame him. I made my way through the crowd to where Hermione, Ron, Ginny, and Eva were. I wrapped my arms around her neck and started to cry again. I didn't need to look to know that everyone else was too.

Suddenly, Ginny stepped forward and put a hand on Harry's shoulder. At her touch, Harry leaned into her shoulder and cried. As she stroked his hair, I looked over at Ron. He watched them and I could tell he understood. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw McGonagall raise her wand into the air.

Me and other students and staff followed her example, until the whole courtyard was lit with the tips of everyone's wands, except Hagrid whose bits of wand were in the form of an umbrella. The Dark Mark vanished, but not the empty feeling inside of me.

~

A few days later, the last night, the four of us sat in the Astronomy Tower. I stared out at the horizon. The silence between us stopped as Hermione quietly asked, "Do you think he would've done it. Draco?" Harry and I shook our heads in sync.

"No. He was lowering his wand. In the end, it was Snape. It was always Snape. And I did nothing..." He said bitterly. I put a hand on his shoulder and squeezed it. "He told us to do nothing Harry. I didn't do anything either. Oh how I wish I could've seen what was going to happen." I said hoarsely.

Hermione took the locket from my brother. "Strange. Thinking this is a piece of Voldemort's soul..." Harry shook his head. "Yeah, strange. Only...it's not. It's a fake." My eyes widened and so did Hermione's. He nodded towards the locket. "Go on. Open it."

Hermione undid the clasp and took a tightly folded piece of parchment. She looked at Harry before reading; "'To the Dark Lord. I know I will be dead long before you read this but I want you to know that it was I who discovered your secret. I have stolen the real Horcrux and intend to destroy it as soon as I can. I face death in the hope that when you meet your match, you will be mortal once more. R.A.B.' R.A.B.?"

Harry shrugged bitterly. "Dunno. But whoever they are, they have the real Horcrux. Which means, it was a waste. All of it." Hermione studied Harry's pained face, then glanced back at me and Ron. In a whisper, which I still heard, she said to him, "Ron's okay with it, you know. You and Ginny. But if I were you, when he's around, I'd keep the snogging to a minimum."

I can tell she's trying to cheer him up, but was unfortunately not succeeding. "I'm not coming back, Hermione." She simply nodded. "We reckoned." "I have to finish what Dumbledore started. I'm not sure where that will lead me...but I'll let you lot know where I am when I can." Hermione shook her head exasperatedly.

"I've always admired your courage, Harry, but sometimes you're really thick. You don't honestly think you can find all those Horcruxes by yourself, do you? You need us, Harry." Harry stared at her, before looking back at me and Ron. "Laurel's not going though." He said finally. I frowned, hurt. "And why not?"

"Because I could never forgive myself if you got hurt." My mouth turned to a cold line. "Yet you are okay with Ron and Hermione coming? Look, if you want me to back off since I'm your sister now, then okay. You should've just said so." Harry strode towards me with a grim expression on his face. "That's ridiculous. You are staying so you can finish your education at Hogwarts. And someone needs to look over Eva, Laurel. Yeah, she'll be a Third Year, but things are gonna be different. I know it." We had a stare down, neither of us backing down.

"You need my help." I said softer. His hard expression didn't waver. "Eva needs your help more. So does Neville and the rest of this lot." I scowled, extremely hurt. Just then, a sad, mourning cry rang through the air. Our eye contact broke as we all looked to see what it was. A bird came into view, bright red and orange colors so deep they looked like flames. "Fawkes." I commented quietly. We all slowly moved to the railing and watched as the bird flew into the setting sun.