95- Dark Island

Holy crap. 50k views. 😮 What on earth did I do to deserve you amazing peeps?! 🐥 (Get it? 'Cause Peeps are a marshmallow thing...okay I'll stop.)

On to Mission Impossible 6 as Laurel put it. ;)

Chapter Inspiration:

- There's A Place For Us ~ Carrie Underwood

- Come & Get It ~ Selena Gomez (think of this when Edmund's distracting and taunting the sea serpent)

- Hero ~ Mariah Carey (freaking amazing lyrics)

I stood on the upper deck with Drinian, Caspian, and Tavros. We were slowly edging closer to the island. "So, what do you think is in there?" The Minotaur wondered. "Our worst nightmares." Ed replied nervously. "Our darkest wishes." Caspian put in. "Pure evil." Drinian answered grimly. "I think giant evil toast beings who want to take over the world." I said very seriously. The responses I got ranged from confused faces to laughter attacks. Caspian shot me an annoyed look. I shrugged. "Just trying to lighten the mood."

"Tavros, unlock the armory." Drinian ordered, a small smirk on his face. Tavros climbed down the steps, doing as told. "Archers, prepare yourselves!" Drinian yelled to the crew. "Aye, Captain!" One man yelled. When Tavros came back, he added, "Light the lanterns!" I didn't get why that would be necessary, but then I saw the thick fog encircling Dark Island. Caspian clapped Edmund and I on the shoulder. "Let's get ready."

We went to the armory to grab gear and a few things for the boys. Caspian apologized for not having any armor for girls and that I would have to wear men's. I didn't mind too much, but I was worried about whether it would fit. I was dropped off at the girls' room to get ready and found Gael sitting on the bed, watching Lucy brush her hair. I stood behind the dressing board, wrapping my chest area in cloth like Mulan did. I hope this works or I'm screwed. Just as I put my light t-shirt on, I heard Gael say, "When I grow up, I want to be just like you."

I smiled, thinking that she was adorable and that she and Lucy were really good friends. My heart sank, though, as I thought about the minimal amount of time I've spent with her since Gael showed up. Don't be ridiculous. Being jealous of a little girl is absolutely stupid. Shaking my head, I pulled the black breastplate over my head and started to buckle it. As I walked out, I watched as Lucy sat next to Gael, giving her a hug. "When you grow up, you should be just like you."

I picked up Fortis and slid it into my belt where it belonged. My bow and quiver were slung over my back, ready to be used. "Are you scared, Laurel?" Gael asked me. I looked at the wall in front of me blankly, before turning my head to see her and Lucy with my peripheral vision. "No, I'm terrified." I told her honestly. Lucy sent me an annoyed glance. It was obvious she had been hoping for a more untruthful answer, one that would put her mind to ease. But sometimes, you can't sugarcoat things in life.

~

Caspian looked over at Ed who was looking down at his armor, buckling things. As he started talking, the younger boy looked up. "In case we don't get through...whatever this is...I want you to know that I think of you as my brother, Edmund." He swallowed, the idea of not making it through horrifying. "Me, too." he replied. Caspian walked around Edmund, helping him with a buckle he was having trouble with.

He looked down at Peter's sword, Rhindon, at his side and pulled it out of his weapons belt, handing it to Ed. "But it's..." Caspian cut him off, smiling, "Peter would want you to have it." Edmund gripped the sword in his own hand.

~

Eustace and Reepicheep flew over the ship, seeing Dark Island nearing. "There it is, my friend. Our battle awaits!" The Mouse cheered. Eustace's eyes widened in fear. He turned around and started to fly in the other direction. Where to? Anywhere but Dark Island. Reepicheep slid around on the dragon, finally clinging to his snout or else he'd fall into the great ocean. "AH! Eustace, stop! No!" He kept on flying, ignoring the Mouse's protests.