40- Avoidance

Wow I cannot believe that we are at chapter 40. Time flies by. Just so you guys know, there'll be a lot of time jumps coming up so the story can keep on track.

Chapter Inspiration:

- I Won't Say I'm in Love ~ Susan Egan (Hercules)

- Heart Attack ~ Demi Lavato

- I Almost Do ~ Taylor Swift (Oh my gosh this song is perfect.)

A messenger was sent to my room around noon, inviting me to a lunch with the Pevensies. I politely declined, telling the messenger that I had work to do. Really, I just wanted to check out Cair Paravel's library.

I opened the oak doors, decorated with Narnian creatures and of course Aslan. I frowned, thinking when I last saw my Lion friend. He must have had something to do, otherwise I definitely would've seen Him. I walked into the room to find it five times larger than I thought.

I let out a low whistle. Damn, this library reminded me of the one in Beauty and the Beast. Except this one had a lounge and tables for reading or work. I walked over to the window and peered through the glass, seeing the gardens below.

"You call this being busy?" A voice asked me incredulously. I turned to see Susan standing in the doorway, looking hurt. I gave her a weak smile and turned to a section. "Well I have some studying to do. Please don't take it personally, Your Majesty."

Susan cocked an eyebrow and crossed her arms. "They weren't kidding?" I furrowed my brow. "Pardon?" She sat down on a chair and crossed her legs. "Pete and Ed said that you refused to say their names. And your ignoring us. Why is that?"

I turned to her, an interesting book in my hands, and looked up, sighing. "I'm sorry. I've been very busy lately." The look on her face told me she wasn't buying it. "If you're so busy, then why did you run from us at the coronation ball?"

"I've never been to a ball before. It was quite intimidating." I lied, thinking back to the Yule Ball in Fourth Year. "You could've hung out with us. We haven't changed Laurel. It's still us." I cringed and slammed the book closed. Turning around so my back faced her, I hung my head low. Stay strong, it's for their own good. They can't know I'm not who they think I am.

"Don't you have a luncheon to attend, Your Majesty?" I said through gritted teeth. I heard Susan sigh and get up, making her way to the door. "I'm sorry." She said softly, closing the doors behind her. I put the book down and was about to open the door, when I heard voices right behind it.

"I told you she wouldn't come. She doesn't want anything to do with us." A familiar voice growled, obviously disappointed. "Peter, she's just having a hard time adjusting. Tell me you aren't as well." A younger voice said. A lump formed in my throat. All four of them stood right in front of me, just separated by a wooden door.

"I say we all go in and try to convince her." Edmund suggested. As I backed away from the door I looked around for a hiding spot, still straining to listen. Even through the door, I could tell Peter and Susan were shaking their heads. "You heard what Aslan said, she has to come to us." Peter told his brother coldly.

"Peter, you're acting like her. Knock it off. I know you're hurt, so am I, but she just needs time. Pushing won't solve anything." Susan retorted. I was slightly offended by her words, but she was sadly right. Time wouldn't solve my problem, though. I needed to stay away, it made me feel better about the situation. Sighing, I walked back to the bookshelves and started to read through some of them.

~

For the next few days, both Peter and Edmund showed up for training. Today, however, I had a little something cooked up. I stood in front of my troops along with the Kings and shouted, "Today, we're going to have a bit of fun. We're going to have a small tournament. There is no prize, but it should help you. Learn things from others, tricks that will help you or mistakes not to make. The first pairing I want is Aaron and Isla."

A Faun and a female Centaur stood in the middle of the field and started to spar. Both were quite good, but Isla was honestly better. She seemed to have better form and could move faster. Aaron could block well, which was handy because Isla had great swings.

"That was a good pairing. Isla can play offense well while Aaron is brilliant at defense." Peter told me quietly. "Thanks." I said softly. He was surprised by my soft tone and stared down at me. I looked up at him and realized that I only came up to his nose. This was a surprise to me because I was taller than most boys I knew. I watched as Isla nicked Aaron on the cheek, causing him to cringe. "C'mon Aaron. Keep going." I said under my breath. He swung his sword and blocked a clever swing.

Surprisingly, he twisted around and disarmed Isla. She stared at her sword on the ground and looked down at the Faun in awe. "Brilliant match. Next I want Leon and Willis." The Bear and the Dryad stood in the area that the last two stood.

This went on for the rest of the morning. I paired Peter up with my best Faun, pleased that he gave the High King a bit of a challenge. When they were done I turned to see who was left. I looked around and only saw Edmund.

"Um...How about I spar with you? Just for fun." I asked, resting my left hand on Fortis's leather handle. Ed shrugged and drew his sword. I drew my own and bent my knees, staring intently at my opponent.

Ed advanced forward and thrusted. I blocked it and ducked another swing that came my way. I did my 360 swing and knocked Ed off balance. He immediately got up and started to spar again. "Use your wrist. And don't forget to keep your feet in the stance I showed you." I told him, side-stepping an easy swing.

I could tell he was breathless while I was still warming up. He swung again, but I nicked his cheek, using the little time I had to send his sword flying. He bent down, panting heavily. I sheathed my sword and stared down at him.

"You're gonna hate me, Sire, but I want you to go do ten laps." He stared at me incredulously. I ushered him to go, chuckling at the death glare sent my way. "You're gonna thank me and my laps one day." I called after him.

When I turned back to my soldiers, I told them, "You are free to go now." I started to walk down to the archery ranges. I saw Edmund on his third and encouraged him to keep going. He shot me another glare and yelled, "Shut up!" I snickered and turned to hear my name being called.

A sick feeling overcame the pit of my stomach as Peter jogged to catch up to me. I looked down at my feet and said, "Yes?" He frowned slightly and walked with me. "Where're you going?" I pointed to the archery ranges and pulled my bow from its quiver.

Peter watched me as I nocked an arrow and drew my arm taut. "You do realize that we are hundred feet away at the most, right?" I shrugged and let it fly. Peter's mouth hung open when the arrow sunk cleanly into the chest of a dummy.

I beamed at the dummy and nocked another arrow. This one sailed over the dummy and hit another one right between the imaginary eyebrows. "By the Mane that was some excellent archery." Peter commented.

I gave him a small smile. "Thanks. I've been practicing a lot lately, hoping I'll someday achieve your sister's talent." Peter squeezed my shoulder, sending electric volts through my body. "Don't worry, you will." I stiffened and went to retrieve the arrows.

Don't get attached. Don't get attached. Another part of my brain argued, But he's so hot! And he might like me! I gripped the arrow so hard my knuckles turned white. "I will not fall in love with him. I will not fall in love with him."

"What was that?" Peter called. I froze in my spot, my posture becoming rigid. "Nothing." I told him, my voice an octave higher than normal. I walked over to the other dummy and heard Peter say, "Okay. See you later then." I turned to watch him as he walked away. "Bye." I whispered morosely.