20- Potions with Slughorn

Chapter Inspiration:

- Magic ~ Selena Gomez

- Something Wicked This Way Comes ~ Hogwarts Frog Choir

I stood next to Hermione in a line, watching as Slughorn was telling us about some potions he had on a table. I noticed Harry and Ron walking down the hallway to this classroom. Hermione and I shared a glance, frowning. I thought they weren't taking Potions...?

Slughorn turned around and saw the two of them. "Harry m’boy! I was beginning to worry! And I see we’ve brought someone with us." "Ron Weasley, sir. But I’m dead awful at Potions, a menace actually, so I probably should just be going–"

I sniggered as Slughorn stopped him. "Nonsense, we’ll sort you out. Any friend of Harry’s is a friend of mine. Right then, books out–" Harry cut him off. "Um, sorry, sir, but I haven’t got my book yet—nor’s Ron. You see, until this morning…"

"Not to worry. You can get what you need from the cupboard." Slughorn pointed to the supply cupboard. As Harry and Ron step to the cupboard, Slughorn resumed, gesturing to the cauldrons bubbling before us.

"Now, as I was saying, I’ve prepared a few concoctions this morning. Any ideas what these might be? Yes, Miss…?" "Granger, sir. That one there is Veritaserum. And that would be Polyjuice Potion. And that…is Amortentia! The most powerful love potion in the world. It’s rumored to smell differently to each person, according to what attracts them. For example, I smell freshly mown grass and new parchment and spearmint toothpaste–" Hermione blushed, stopping herself.

"Two of my best friends are Muggle-born. They're the best in our year…" He said to himself. Harry, settling into his seat, looked up just as Slughorn’s eyes shift to him for confirmation. Harry nodded.

"Now Amortentia doesn’t create actual love, of course. That’s impossible. But it does cause a powerful infatuation or obsession. For that reason, it is probably the most dangerous potion in this room." I wanted to say that anything was possible, but I figured I would get into a heated argument with the Potions master.

"Sir, you haven’t told us what’s in that one." Katie Bell, a Seventh Year on Gryffindor's Quidditch team, told Slughorn.

"Ah yes…" He said, stepping in front of a small black cauldron. He ladled a bit of golden liquid into a tiny vial. I recognized it immediately. "What you see before you, ladies and gentlemen, is a curious little potion known as Felix Felicis. But it is more commonly referred to as–"

"Liquid luck." I finished for him. He looked over at me and smiled, impressed. "Yes, Miss Collins. Desperately tricky to make. Disastrous should you get it wrong. But brewed correctly, as this has been, it
has remarkable powers. One sip and you will find that all your endeavors succeed…at least until the effects wear off."

I frowned, confused. "How do you know my name, sir?" The professor looked over at Harry then at me. "Word travels fast." I realized what he meant and looked down at my shoes. Katie spoke up again, changing the subject thankfully off of me. "But then why don’t people drink it all the time?"

Slughorn turned to me, silently telling me to finish. "Because taken in excess it causes giddiness, recklessness and dangerous overconfidence." I said to the floor. One of Malfoy's friends piped up, "Have you ever taken it, sir?"

"Twice. Once when I was twenty-four. Once when I was fifty-seven. Two tablespoons taken at breakfast. Two perfect days…" Slughorn eyed the vial dreamily. When he pulled out of his reverie, he said, "So. This is what I offer each of you today. One tiny vial of liquid luck…to the student who, in the hour that remains, manages to brew an acceptable Draught of Living Death, the recipe for which can be found on page ten of your textbook."