64- Just a Boy

Chapter Inspiration:

- Pompeii ~ Bastille

- Skulls ~ Bastille

As we came closer and closer to the shore, I grew more and more exhausted. I couldn't tell them that, of course. I'd be ruining their fun! Instead, I plastered a smile on my face and readied myself to limp a billion steps. This is gonna be fun, like eating glass! Note the sarcasm.

Peter, Trumpkin, Susan, and Ed and climbed out first, pulling the boat to shore. Lucy jumped out next, looking at our surroundings. As I hopped out, Peter kept an arm around my waist to steady me. "I don't think you should be walking, Laurel." Peter told me with an unreadable expression. I scowled at him and limped forward. "I am fine. If it makes you feel better, I'll stand with Lucy." Just as I pointed to her, she called out, "Hello, there!"

We all whirled around to see her talking to a bear. I gulped, remembering what Trumpkin and Nikabrik had told me. She walked closer to the bear. If it was a Bear, it would've said hello back. Panic rose in me as she walked closer. "It's all right. We're friends." The bear didn't reply. Trumpkin put the rope down. "Don't move, Your Majesty."

She turned to look at us, just as the bear charged. I ran forward without thinking and drew Fortis. "Stay away from her!" Susan shouted, probably having her bow drawn. My sprained ankle throbbed with each step. Almost there. Almost there.

"Shoot, Susan! Shoot!" Ed shouted from somewhere behind me. Lucy stumbled just as the bear roared and reared onto it's hind legs. She screamed loudly, reminding me of Eva. I threw my sword at the bear and slashed across it's front. Fortis clattered to the ground, leaving me to shield Lucy with my body from a not quite dead bear.

The bear raised it's paw above me just as an arrow dug its head into the creature. The bear crumpled to the ground, leaving me and Lucy breathless. I grabbed Fortis and eyed the arrow. That wasn't one of Susan's...I turned and saw Trumpkin lowering his bow.

Susan lowered her own and asked, "Why wouldn't he stop?" Trumpkin and the boys walked quickly towards us. "I suspect he was hungry." Trumpkin told her. He poked the bear with his bow, checking to see if it was really dead.

Peter sheathed his sword and wrapped his arms around my waist, getting me to my feet. I smiled at him. "Thanks." He leaned down and said in my ear, "Thank you. You saved my sister's life." I turned my face so we were inches apart. "Consider us even." I could've sworn I saw his eyes dart down to my mouth, but he turned his head back to the scene so I couldn't tell if I was just imagining it.

Edmund helped Lucy to her feet and held her in a sweet embrace. It was so adorable to watch. He caressed her hair while she played with the buttons on his shirt. Edmund's words drew me out of my thoughts. "He was wild."

I furrowed my eyebrows. "I don't think he could talk at all." Peter added, sounding just as shocked. "Get treated like a Dumb Animal long enough, that's what you become. You may find Narnia a more savage place than you remember." Trumpkin grumbled unkindly.

He drew a dagger and started to cut. Lucy started to cry into Ed's shirt. I looked around and saw the rest of the Pevensies looking a little disgusted. "Don't you remember my hunting trips on travels?" I asked in a light, amused tone.

Susan's eyes widened in shock, causing me to laugh softly. "Let's get going." Trumpkin announced when he was done, leading the way. Peter scoffed, moving us near the front. "Trumpkin, wouldn't it make more sense if I were to be the one leading?"

Uh oh. Peter's pompous ass persona is coming out. Trumpkin gave him an irritated glance. "With all due respect, I don't think that would be necessary. You haven't been around here for 1300 years. Things have changed."