66- Truth Will Out

Chapter Inspiration:

- Truth No. 2 ~ Dixie Chicks

- Safe & Sound ~ Taylor Swift

Peter had no words. None. He couldn't believe that the girl he secretly loved turned out to be a monster hidden behind an angel face. It felt like someone had ripped Peter's heart out. He came out of his thoughts just as Susan smacked both him and Ed on the head.

"What the hell?" Peter growled, rubbing his head. "What is wrong with the two of you?!" she cried. Peter hadn't seen her this livid in a long time. "You just kicked our friend to the curb when she needed us most? She didn't even get the chance to explain!" Susan shouted.

Peter remembered how Laurel had put something over the area when he had started yelling. "She is not who we thought she was! We can't trust her!" Edmund argued. Susan shot menacing glares. "I know what this is about, Edmund Pevensie! She is not like the Witch!"

At the mention of her name, Ed went ballistic. "HOW WOULD YOU KNOW? SHE IS NOT THE GIRL WE THOUGHT SHE WAS. GET THAT THROUGH YOUR THICK BRAIN." Peter noticed Lucy shaking on the ground, her lip trembling. Peter crouched down and reached out to comfort her, but she swatted his hand away.

"If she was a monster, then why did she stay away from us for fifteen years? If she wanted to hurt us, Laurel would've and could've done it long ago." Lucy pointed out quietly. Susan and Edmund fell quiet, having no words to answer her.

"Then why would she lie to us?" Peter spoke up. Lucy and Susan glowered at him. "Did it ever occur to you that she wasn't lying, but withholding the truth? She also said that Aslan told her to keep quiet. We can't hold that against her." Susan snapped.

Aslan told her to not tell. Guilt washed over him like a tsunami. "I have to find her." he whispered. Ed sighed and ran a hand through his hair. "You mean we right?" Peter shook his head and grabbed Rhindon. "No, I mean me. I'll be back with her soon."

~

I sunk beneath a tree and buried my face in my knees. Tears leaked out of my eyes and fell onto my shirt and pants. Why did I have to mess things up? I thought it would make things easier, yet here I am, all alone and lost. I really can't trust anybody, can I?

My soft crying turned to sobs in a matter of minutes. I am pathetic. After what seemed like ages, I stopped crying and stood up. I clutched the tree behind me, for my legs were numb and my ankle was still weak.

I limped off, trying to find a decent spot to pitch camp. As punishment, I shut off my visual screening, making myself do this task in the dark like a normal person would have to do. Though I'm not anywhere near normal no matter how hard I try. I rounded a corner and came face to face with a large stone wall with a layer of ivy leaves covering the stone. Pretty.

My hands delicately touched the ivy just as I heard leaves rustling. I jerked around with Fortis unsheathed. "Laurel?" A voice softly shouted. I almost dropped my sword. It was Peter. He brushed past a few tree branches and froze, seeing me.

My body was on autopilot as I backed up against the rocky wall. Peter stepped out into the open and studied my face. "Come to finish me off?" I asked, my voice hoarse from crying. I hoped that my eyes weren't puffy; I'd look weak and he wouldn't take me seriously.

"I'm really sorry. You're right though, blind rage is my fatal flaw." He chuckled lightly, stepping towards me. The wall dug into my back, but I didn't care, I needed to keep some distance between us. When he was standing right in front of me, I whispered, "Don't."