72- Preparing for the Duel

Chapter Inspiration:

- We're Young & Beautiful ~ Carrie Underwood

Peter led me to the armory and told me to wait there. I smiled and leaned against a nearby wall. Trumpkin, the eldest of the Bulgy Bears, and Reepicheep came in a few minutes later carrying two large trunks. "What're those?" I furrowed my eyebrows.

Trumpkin opened one and displayed some very familiar gear. My armor. I smiled widely and picked up a piece. "I didn't know it was saved. I thought it disappeared when I left Narnia." Trumpkin shrugged and started to lay out Peter's garments on the table.

I started to set my own things out, hoping Peter would be back soon. Speaking of him, I could hear his voice echoing through the nearest corridor. But he wasn't alone. "If there's ever going to be peace with the Telmarines, you have to be the one to bring it." He was saying.

I recognized Caspian's Mediterranean accent as he replied, "How I can if you won't let me?" Peter sighed. "Not like this. Look, if I don't make it, Narnia's future is in your hands." My heart clenched as he rested against the doorframe. The mere thought of losing him was painful and unthinkable. I just got him; I wasn't losing him again.

Caspian saw my facial expression over Peter's shoulder and pursed his lips. "And what about your own future?" Peter shrugged. "I was thinking about a career in medicine." I cocked my head to the side and watched as he turned to us.

A somber smile played his lips; he knew I had heard what he said. Trumpkin was finishing up, almost done setting all of Peter's armor out. The Dwarf handed Peter his helmet and he took it in his grasp, looking down at the blazing red and majestic gold of the shirt front. It was so Gryffindor-like. The Bulgy Bear stepped forward. "Your Highness?"

Peter looked up, setting the helmet down. "Yes?" The Bear wrung his hands as he said, "I'm a Bear I am." Peter's eyes flitted in my direction and told the Bear with a slight make-this-quick tone, "And a fine one I'm sure." The Bulgy Bear piped up again, "Begging your pardon, but tradition holds that you pick your Marshals of the List."

This rung a bell in my mind. "He's right. You need to choose your seconds." Peter looked from me to the Bear. As Trumpkin placed a gauntlet on the table, he grumbled, "Oh, don't let him. He'll just fall asleep and suck his paws."

I bit back a smile, catching Peter's eye. Reepicheep bounded up to the table and looked up at Peter. "Sire, my life is forever at your command, but I have thought perhaps...I might be set for this challenge." Reepicheep added. Trumpkin let out a snort. My hand covered my mouth as a grin grew across it. I didn't want to offend him, unlike Trumpkin who spoke his grumpy mind regardless of how rude or offensive.

"As you know my good Reepicheep, many humans are afraid of Mice. And it really wouldn't be fair for Miraz to have anything in sight that might further dilute his courage." Dang, Peter was quite convincing. If I wasn't so analytical, I'd probably be gullible enough to believe that.

Reepicheep looked disappointed but elated at the same time. I'll never understand how thickheaded yet cunning that Mouse could be. "Of course, Your Majesty, as the mirror of honesty...that is exactly what I was thinking." A laugh escaped softly from both me and Caspian. Peter smiled widely, but controlled it a bit as he turned to the Telmarine Prince. "Caspian, tell Glenstorm I want him, Ed, and..."

He was interrupted by the Bulgy Bear. "Please, Your Majesty." Peter looked at me with regret and annoyance. My heart sped up when I deciphered the look. He was going to ask me to be his third, but his kingly conscience told him it would be wrong to give it to me.

I nodded, giving him a small smile. Peter turned to the Bear and sighed. "It is your right. And my honor. But you must remember to not suck your paws." I chuckled and watched as he went over to his beloved shield next to the trunks.