49- You Promised

Chapter Inspiration:

- You're Not Sorry ~ Taylor Swift

Apparently, my "deep sleep" was not as deep as I thought it was. Around three a.m. I couldn't sleep anymore. I sat up and tiptoed out of bed, careful not to wake up Ginny, Eva, and Hermione. I walked down the long stairwell to the kitchen.

Maybe a tea will make me sleepy. As I crossed the room, something caught my eye. I turned my head to see the door slightly ajar. Worried, I ran over to shut it, when I saw two very familiar figures talking outside.

Ron, dressed in pajamas, was confronting Harry, who was wearing clothes and had a knapsack on his back. My eyes widened when I realized that he had tried to leave and go find the Horcruxes without Ron and Hermione and without saying goodbye.

Anger soon replaced my shock. That was just selfish. And extremely unfair to Hermione, Ron, Eva, and me. Harry was no longer looking at Ron. His posture went rigid as we locked gazes. My look was as sharp as Fortis. Ron jerked around and let his mouth fall open.

I broke our eye contact and crossed my arms, shaking my head. Harry started towards the door, but I turned around and started to blink back tears. Harry ran through the door and grabbed my arm as I tried to climb the stairs.

"Laurel I can explain." He pleaded in a whisper. "There's nothing to explain Harry. You promised. I can't believe that you would've left had Ron not caught you. Goodnight." I told him coldly, using the same whisper he did. I jerked around and started towards my shared room, no longer having the stomach for anything.

~

I woke up last the next morning, surprised to find the bedroom empty. I looked over at my clock to find it eight a.m. What is with these messed up sleeping patterns I've been having? I got up and changed into a blue blouse, leggings, and black converse. My hair, in curls, whirled around with the cool wind coming in from the window.

I hopped down the stairs, smelling the delicious cooking of Mrs. Weasley. I frowned, seeing that only George was in the kitchen. I laughed when I saw his toothbrush in his ear, sipping a cup of coffee. "Morning." He drawled with a smile.

I flicked his arm and started two teas. "Morning. You know if I wasn't me, I'd find it bloody disgusting. Oh wait, I do find it bloody disgusting." He chuckled. "Nice pun." I looked up from my tea making and gave him a look. "Sorry George, but I'm going to have to trade your coffee in for tea. And rebandage your head."

He sighed and took the cup, draining it slowly. He stood still as I unwrapped the bloody bandages and tied on a new, clean one. "How many times have you done this Laure?" He asked quietly. I frowned. "Do what?" "Play doctor. You seem like you've been trained professionally." I chuckled and sat against the counter. I thought of Narnia, how many times I had to patch myself up. Dispelling the painful thoughts, I shrugged and said, "I've done it a lot." Silence overcame us, the only thing disrupting our silence was slurping sounds. Suddenly, Harry, Ron, and Hermione came in with someone I never thought I would meet. Rufus Scrimgeour.

George's eyes widened and then whispered in my ear, "I'll see you later." I nodded and rested my hands against the counter behind me. Scrimgeour looked at me and motioned for me to join my friends. I let my friends sit on the couch while I sat on the arm. Scrimgeour sat across from us, carrying a large bag. "To what do we owe the pleasure, Minister?" Harry asked calmly.

"I think we both know the answer to that question, Mr. Potter." he replied. I furrowed my eyebrows. What did that mean? "Mr. Potter and Mr. Weasley, Would you say you were close to your former Headmaster?" he asked. Oh, I get it. This is an interrogation.

Ron looked baffled. "Dumbledore? And me? I dunno. I reckon I was just another Weasley to him. He was always polite-" Scrimgeour cut him off, turning to Hermione and me. "And you, Miss Granger, Miss Collins? How would you characterize your relationship?"

I stared at the Minister hard. "Yes, we were quite close. Of course Harry was closer, but he did pay some attention to me." I quieted so Hermione could go next. "We were friendly, not close like Harry and Laurel, but-"

"What's this all about?" Harry demanded. I winced, wanting to tell him to be careful, but kept my mouth shut. "Despite the fact that two out of three of your friends didn't appear to have been particularly close to their recently deceased Headmaster, he saw fit to remember them in his will. Now why do you suppose that would be?"

I stared at the ground as the other three shared looks. "No idea." Harry answered honestly. Scrimgeour looked as if Harry was lying. Of course he wasn't...but still. "Come now, you don't expect me to believe that?" Scrimgeour pulled a piece of parchment out of his cloak and started to read it.

"'Herein is set forth the Last Will and Testament of Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore. First, to Ronald Bilius Weasley, I leave my Deluminator, a device of my own making, in the hope that when things seem most dark, it will show him the light.'"

I wanted to snicker at Ron's middle name, but now was not the time or place. Scrimgeour handed him a small silver object. "Dumbledore left this? For me? Brilliant. Er what is it?" Ron clicked a button and all the light sources went out, being absorbed by the object. He clicked it again and all the light returned. "Wicked." he breathed.

"'To Miss Hermione Jean Granger, I leave my copy of The Tales of Beedle the Bard, in the hope that she will find it entertaining and instructive.'" Scrimgeour reached into the bag again and pulled out a small book, slightly tattered and worn-looking.

While Hermione looked extremely confused, Ron had a nostalgic smile plastered on his face. "Mum used to read me those! The Wizard and the Hopping Pot, Babbitty Rabbity and her Cackling Stump..." The three of us, all from the Muggle world, stared at him, lost.

Ron looked shocked. "Oh, c'mon! Beedle's stories are famous! Babbity Rabbitty? No?" I shook my head. "No." Scrimgeour eyed me next. "'To Laurel Marie Collins, I leave these magical chains, in hopes that they teach you the true meaning of selflessness.'"

I raised an eyebrow as he heaved out two magical chains, decorated in odd ancient rune symbols I've never seen before. The looks of them sent a queasy feeling through my stomach. They reminded me too much of being in a cell for two and a half days. As the chains were placed in my hands, I could immediately feel the magic in them. It was strong.

"'To Harry James Potter, I leave the Snitch he caught in his first Quidditch match at Hogwarts, as a reminder of the rewards of perseverance and skill.'" Scrimgeour held it out to him, his skin hidden under a cloth. Harry took it and studied the golden object. I narrowed my eyes as I watched Scrimgeour. He watched Harry as if he was waiting for something to happen when Harry touched it.

Harry looked up from the Snitch and asked, "Is that it then?" The Minister hesitated. "Not quite. Dumbledore left you a second bequest: The Sword of Godric Gryffindor. Unfortunately, the Sword of Gryffindor was not Dumbledore's to give away. As an important historical artifact, it belongs-"

Hermione cut in incredulously. "To Harry! It belongs to Harry! It chose him. It came to him in the Chamber of Secrets when he most needed it!" Scrimgeour narrowed his eyes at her. "The sword may present itself to any worthy Gryffindor, Miss Granger. However, that does not make it that wizard's property. And in any event the current whereabouts of the sword are unknown." "Excuse me?" I asked.

"The sword is missing. I don't know what you are up to Mr. Potter, but you can't fight this war alone. He's too strong." The silence was broken by Hermione. "Where is your guard, sir?" "I came alone. I don't really need them anymore..." I stared at the Minister. I don't know what made me say this, but I let my mouth voice, "You may want to be careful sir. It may come off...reckless."