86) Runaway Bride PartII

Bella/Kate

Rated T

Summary: Bella was getting ready to get married. But she had a lot of doubts about Edward. Then she meets the Denali Coven.

Bella's POV

So where are we headed?" Kate asked as we drove.

"Mhm?" I mumbled as I turned my eyes to her before glancing back down at my wedding dress. "Ugh, somewhere to get a change of clothes. Unlike Sally Field, I wasn't able to get a change of clothes before taking off."

Kate snorted at my answer and turned her golden eyes to me. I swear my heart skipped a beat as her eyes met mine, and the smirk on her face let me know she was aware of that missing beat. "Referencing Smokey and the Bandit now are we?"

"How else am I supposed to know what kind of a person you are if you don't get simple movie references? I dropped several of them during my time with the Cullens and most of them remained oblivious. I think the only ones who understood were Jasper and Emmett," I returned, smirking as well. God, it's been ages since I've been able to relax this much. I don't think I've smirked once since I left Arizona.

The blonde vampire laughed, not a musical tinkling sound that I heard some of the Cullens issue, but a real, honest laugh. "That's not surprising, that bunch isn't really big on movies, not the kind I think that you find interesting," Kate said after she got a hold of yourself. "But you never did answer my question, where are we going?"

"South," I replied. "I'm not too particular where, just south and a new change of clothes."

"Think you can last until we reach Portland? It's a few hours drive, but I think I might be able to cut the time down."

"Of course you can," I snorted, rolling my eyes. I closed my eyes for a while, choosing to look at the inside of my eyelids instead of watching the scenery speed by around me. "So you're my mate," I commented, cracking an eye open to see Kate's reaction.

If the vampire exhibited any sort of surprise, my eyes missed it. The only reaction that I could visibly see was the darkening of her eyes and the tightening of her hands. "You figured it out," Kate stated, not looking at me.

"Wasn't hard to figure out," I said after a moment. "I felt an instant connection to you, and you were rather smug when I kissed you instead of getting married to Edward. Plus, you abandoned your entire family to follow me and take me away from that circus. Adding all of that together, I knew some mystical, mating stuff was going on."

"I thought that you thought that Edward was your mate," Kate sputtered and I grinned victoriously, knowing that I finally caught her off guard.

"I did think that, once upon a time," I admitted. "I thought that when we first started dating. When he left though, part of me knew that he wasn't it for me. I didn't want to admit that though, and I lived in a state of denial for months. After he came back and the mess with Victoria, nothing was the same, not as it once was anyway." Kate nodded, accepting my words. "Were you going to tell me that we were mates?" I asked after a few minutes.

"Truthfully I was going to tell you the minute I saw you, but Tanya told me not to. She didn't want to disrupt your wedding, claimed we owed it that much to the Cullens to not mess up Edward's big day."

"Wait, Tanya, your coven leader and sister, was just going to allow your mate to marry someone else? How are you okay with that?"

Kate's hands tightened around the steering wheel again and anger appeared in her eyes. "It's not. The only reason I didn't lay into her or tear every vampire there apart is because of the humans present and the fact that you came to me instead of getting married." The blonde smirked, "I definitely wasn't going to let you go on your honeymoon though. I was masking my thoughts from Edward, but I was thinking of various ways to abduct you if I had to."