Chapter 40 - Give It a Chance

Tessa's P.O.V:
In August of 1994,  Karla had given birth to a baby boy. Chris was in Detroit then, so he didn't know that he had a son. Karla promised me to keep it a secret so that's what I did.

She was only young then. She couldn't look after a newborn. She had her education to get on with. Her mom would have killed her if she found out about her baby boy. 

So, when the baby was five months, she gave him away. She took him to an adoption center. Rumors spread around the college and reached Chris. 

Christopher and Karla had broken just a couple of days before she found out she was pregnant with his child. Chris was the one that broke up with her since he wanted to move to his home town in Detroit. 

She thought that if he told him that she was pregnant, he wouldn't believe her. She thought that he would move back to California for the baby and not her.

As selfish as she sounded, she was doing it for the sake of the baby. She didn't want the baby to see the parents fight and argue like her parents used to infront of her. 

Anyway, she couldn't take care of the baby so she gave him up. She became depressed and wasn't fit enough to look after him. So then Christopher came and found out about his son. 

Chris went nuts. Until a year later they both got back together. Karla got over her depression. The finsihed med school. They got engaged and became doctors. 

Never in a millon years did I ever think Milo would be back home. Never in a millon years would I ever think that Chris would bring their 9 year old son home without telling Karla. 

"Have you worked with a lot of famous people?" Milo asks. 

I look up from lap and lock eyes with the 9 year old that is sitting next to his proud father that's looking down at him with love in his eyes and a huge smile plastered across his face. 

"I do." I smile at Milo. 

"Did you used to look after me when I was a baby?" He asks. 

"That's enough of the questions. Time for you to get ready for soccer practice." Chris says. 

"But-" Milo starts but gets cut off. 

"Aunt Tessa has a flight to catch." Karla says, walking into the living room. 

"Okay." He sighs and stands up. He walk towards the door but stops by the couch that I am seated on. 

Milo walks towards me and wrap his tiny arms around my neck. I stay in stunned for a few seconds before I wrap my arms around him as I smile lightly.  

"Have fun " I say softly. 

"I will. Have a safe flight." He says as he walks away from me. 

"Thanks." I chuckle as I watch him walk away.

"I'll be there in 10 minutes so get ready." Chris says as I stand up. 

I pick up my handbag and stand up from the couch. Chris stands up and follows me out, Karla had dissappeared with her son upstairs so Chris walk me to the door. 

"What's wrong?" Chris asks. I stop infront of the door and sigh.

"You should have told Karla before-" I start buy he cuts me off. 

"Milo is my kid. I don't need Karla's permission to see him." Chris states. 

"No you don't. But you could have told her before your randomly came home with Milo." I sigh. 

"Tessa. I did the right thing." He says. 

"Look. I'm not here to fight. I'm happy for be both of you." I say.