Golden

The tapestry over the window blocked out most of the sun, the room painted in shadows and golden beams of orange light, but Kyra woke up anyway, his veins still buzzing from the night before.   Ashley still had her head on his shoulder, their legs twisted together. She stirred in his arms, and he pulled her closer as she opened her eyes.

"G' mornin'."  His voice was low, words slurred with sleep, which sent a tremor though her body, and she returned his sleepy smile as he traced his fingers in an unbroken trail from the base of her spine, all the way up to the back of her neck, beneath her purple hair. Then realisation dawned on her face, and she sat upright, clutching the blankets to her bare chest.

"Why am I... where are my clothes?"

She glanced around, seeing them strewn all about his room.  He looked too, hismind slow to register her alarm, and bit his lip, amused.

But she was so not

"Oh my god..."

He sat up beside her and wrapped a comforting arm around her shoulders, kissing her neck but she refused to look at him.

"Okay, yeah, this looks bad." His voice was kind and comforting, laced with humour. "But it's not what it looks like."

She didn't remember undressing once the others went inside and he turned out the lights. All she could remember was a melody, an ocean, the mandala, and Kyra.

"You're a good dancer," he teased as she tentatively reached for her bra, still clutching the sheets with one hand. He wasn't used to girls being so shy. He thought it was cute.

"I never dance," she confessed, which surprised him. Everyone danced, and considering how much she seemed to love music, it would make sense.

She reached behind to do up the clasp, missing both times in her rush.

"Here, let me."

She tensed as his fingers brushed her skin, but he got it on the first try, and kissed her shoulder.

She found her jeans and pulled them on, relieved that she had at least had the sense to keep her underwear on, the cute ones, not her daggy nana undies.

She finished dressing and glanced around at the mess they'd left. He didn't mind. It wouldn't take long to tidy up again.

"Did you sleep alright?" He wondered, trying to break the awkwardness that Ash was clearly feeling.

"Yeah." She nodded, avoiding his gaze. "I dreamed all night."

He found his own jeans and pulled them on, not bothering with a shirt, as she did.

"What were they about?" He asked. He was genuinely curious, hoping for a glimpse into the mind he was so infatuated with, but she shook her head.

"Stupid things," she answered him. She found herself smiling as he stood against her back, his arms around her middle.

"Are you hungry?" He asked, brushing her hair back from her neck.

She nodded and he took her hand, leading her from the shed through the back door of the house. She followed him quietly, not wanting to wake the others, and he made them breakfast while she made them coffee.

Outside was bliss. Today would be hot, but, it wasn't quite yet. The sun hadn't been awake for long enough.

They ate together, sitting outside in the tree stump chairs that overlooked the forest.

He liked the way the sun glinted in her hair, gold shining in the purple strands. She liked the way the sun highlighted his golden skin, like a painting of a Greek god.

But neither of them said so.

"Did you dream last night?" She wondered, finally able to look at him again, even if only briefly.

"I think so," he replied. "I don't remember them, though."

"I dream every night," she told him.

"What did you dream about?"

She smiled.

"I dreamed about a bug."

"A bug?"

"It was kind of scary." She laughed, embarrassed. "It's stupid."

"Tell me?"

"Promise not to laugh?"

He nodded, an encouraging smile playing over his lips.

So she told him, and he laughed, even though he promised he wouldn't, but it was okay, because she did, too.