Charm

The path wound through the forest, gaining altitude the further along we went, the occasional driveway veering off into someone's property.  Kyra steered the car into one of these and followed the driveway into a clearing.

I spotted the house right away, a squat, square building, it's dirty weatherboards painted a light shade of yellow that might have once been white, rusty green corrugated iron making up the roof. 

It was a little run down, but I thought it was adorable anyway, the ivy plant climbing up the side adding an extra sense of charm.

I followed the two of them inside, stepping into the lounge room where two more people were cuddled up together on the couch in the middle of the room, some strange, exotic ambient music playing quietly.

The room was a little hazy, the smoke from an incense coiling into the air over in the far corner.

"Hey, dudes," Keira called, climbing over the back to squeeze in between them.

"How was work, Kee?"  The other girl asked, and Keira made a gagging noise in response, making everyone laugh.

"It's over now, that's all that matters."

"Who's your friend, Kyra?"  The girl wondered, spotting me for the first time.

"This is Ashley," he introduced me, then indicated the other guy and girl on either side of Keira.  "This is Rae and Caleb."

"Hey," Rae smiled, her whole face lighting up, and I smiled at them in return, relaxing as the friendly vibe seeped into my being.

"Are you travelling?"  Caleb asked me, crossing his arms over the back of the couch to face us, his eyes sparkling with interest, and I nodded.

"Where are you headed?"  He pressed, but I shrugged.

"I don't really have an agenda," I explained.  "I'm just going to see where I end up."

"That's so cool," Rae gushed, then turned to Caleb, grinning.  "We need to go travelling again, it was so much fun, last time."

"Yeah, it was," he agreed eagerly.

"Are you staying at one of the backpackers in town?" Rae asked me, but Keira chipped in first.

"She's gonna stay here," she said enthusiastically, beaming at me

"No pressure, or anything," Caleb laughed.

"No pressure," Keira agreed, jumping up from the couch.  "Anyone want a cuppa?"