Freeze

Stick figure: Sounds of the Sea

I wanna go home, I wanna go home.  I wanna feel the way I felt.

I wanna go home, I wanna go home.  Back, back to the way it was.

Work was as though I'd never been away, and I quickly fell back into the tiresome routine I'd known for too long.  After everything, and I was back here, again, doing the same old shit I'd tried to run from.

The only difference was, now I knew there was more out there.  I knew I could be so much more.

I was cleaning up out the back when Rebecca stuck her head around the corner, calling my name to get my attention.

"Ash, there's some guy here, asking for you."

I looked up, freezing as I stared at her.

"Who?"  I finally managed, my voice sounding hoarse and dry, but she shrugged, not noticing.

"Never seen him before," she told me, "he's got really long dreadies, and I'm having incredible hair envy, right now."

Normally, I would have laughed at her saying something like that, but I could only manage a tight smile and a curt nod, and she disappeared again and I leaned my broom up against the wall, my hands shaking uncontrollably.

I took a deep breath, trying to ground myself.

Surely it wasn't him...

He wouldn't have come all this way for me, not after I'd run off.

Would he?