Stranger Danger

311: All Mixed Up

You've got to trust your instincts, and let go of regret,

You've got to bet on yourself, now, cause that's your best bet.

If she was smarter, she should have asked him to call the mechanic, but, here she was, getting into a stranger's car, like the idiot she was.

Luckily, he wasn't dangerous, and he wasn't intending to hurt her.

It was a cool car, she thought, an old panel van, painted black, spotted with rust.  There was a surfboard in the back beside a swag and a rusty toolbox.  The dashboard was lined with feathers and shells and driftwood, just like her pockets.  He even had a couple of shells in his dreadlocks, tied in among the different beads.

He said his name was Kyra, and she told him her name as well.  She asked if he lived around here, and he said that he did.  He asked where she was from, and she told him a long way away.  She explained to him that she was on a road trip.  He thought that was cool.

He told her, in future, if she ever had car troubles, to pop the hood, preferably somewhere busy, and someone who knew about cars was bound to turn up and help identify the problem, instead of getting a mechanic to do it and paying extra.  It would be cheaper to take it in, already knowing the problem.

She'd never thought of that, she'd admitted.

He could tell she was nervous, wary of him, which meant she was smart, right?  

Smart enough, he reasoned.  He put some music on quietly, anyway, just to ease her tension.