Amethyst

I found Ash wandering back from watching one of the local bands busking by the curb, her eyes alight, almost giddy with excitement.  She smiled when she spotted me, and skipped over, tiny clouds of dust rising up beneath her boots as her laces trailed through the dirt.

"Did you hear them play?"  She wondered, and I nodded, grinning at her enthusiasm.

"Yeah, they're good, aren't they?"  I responded, falling into step beside her.  "They play around here a lot."

We wandered past several food stalls, the smells enticing people to come closer, then past numerous other stalls selling all sorts of things, until we came upon one selling jewellery and Ash glanced toward the stand.  I followed her eye, grinning as I realised what had caught her attention.

"That's pretty," I said to her, admiring the stone as well. 

It was about the size of a marble, wrapped in wire and hanging from a delicate black velvet choker.   It was laying among a bunch of other, similar pieces, but it was the only stone that matched the exact shade of her violet hair.

"You want it?"  I wondered, but she shook her head.

"I shouldn't," she said regretfully.  "That stupid car is going to cost everything I have."

"Don't worry about that," I assured her, "I'll buy it for you."

"Kyra, no," she insisted, "don't be silly, you don't have to do that."

I was glad that I ignored her protests and bought it for her anyway, because she smiled when the girl at the stall handed the stone to her, her eyes sparkling.

"Sometimes, a crystal will call to us, and we will feel it's pull," she told Ash, "like you felt with this one.  It wanted to protect you."

We said thank you and then we went again, finding a tree to sit beneath.

"What did she mean by that?"  Ash asked me, looking confused.

"Crystals all have their own energies," I explained, remembering what my auntie had told me when she bought me one when I was younger.  "I read somewhere that Amethyst was always used to stop drunkenness, but it's also good to promote peacefulness and happiness, apparently."

"I could use some of that," she said, smiling up at me.

She held her hair up out of the way as I fastened the choker around her neck, reaching her hand up to carefully caress the stone.

"Thank you, Kyra," she told me.