Synthetic

Kee, Rae and I were sitting in the tree stump chairs outside, basking in the glorious morning sunlight.  My hair was drying quickly, still slightly damp from my shower that morning, but the sun was hurrying it along.

Edgy had already left for work, and Kee was going to catch a ride with Caleb when he went into town in about twenty minutes.  He worked in the music store a few shops down from the cafe she worked in, she explained.  Rae was working later on, in a locally owned clothing and jewellery store called Bohemian Rhapsody, or Bo Ro for short, which, she said, was as psychedelic and trippy as you'd imagine.

It was right as she was explaining this that we heard the sound of a car's engine, and Kyra's black panel van emerged from the trees.

"Good surf?"  Kee called as he slammed the door shut and made his way over toward us.

He nodded eagerly, sitting down cross- legged on the old, rainbow striped carpet that had been dragged outside from the house where it had been since the seventies.

"Aw, it was perfect," he told us enthusiastically.  "Like ten foot, rolling in, just nice consistent sets.  None of that messy crap that tries to drown you."

Kee and Rae laughed and I smiled, not really sure why they found it so funny.  I didn't know anything about surfing, so I didn't really know what he meant.

"Are you coming into Bo Ro later?"  Rae asked, but Kyra shook his head.

"I had an appointment there, this morning," he replied, "but nothing else for the rest of the day."

"Kyra works there, too," Rae explained to me.  "He does dreadlock maintenance and extensions, genuine and synthetic."

"Synthetic?"  I wondered, and Rae nodded.

"Uh huh," she shot Kyra a mischievous look, "he's the best.  People come from all over the country for him."

"They don't," he told me modestly.

"Bullshit," Rae argued, "that girl you installed a full set on last week said she came from the other side of the country to get her hair done by you."

"That's one person," he pointed out, but Rae shrugged.

"She thought you were hot as, you could tell."

"You make shit up," he retorted.