The Waiting Game

Eventually, the pine trees gave way to empty paddocks and farmland, sheep and cows dotting the pastures. The road twisted and turned, then went up a steep hill, along the top of a cliff, and then the farm land disappeared, and an ocean took its place.

Ash was so fixated on the ocean that she didn't notice the pothole in the road.  She gasped and swore as the car lurched, slamming on the breaks to stop herself spinning out of control.

Thankfully, she didn't go over the side of the cliff, and she pulled the car off to the side of the road, waiting for her heartbeat to slow.

She felt like an idiot, and laughed at herself. It was just a pothole!

She checked the gauge, frowning at the temperature of the engine, and switched it off to cool. It was way too high, but, she reasoned, she had been driving for hours.  Give the poor car a break.

She admired the ocean view and the little town on the edge of it, gazing down from the top of the cliff, taking a few photos on her phone, frowning again as the cracks in her screen obscured her view.

Then, she went back to the car to check the engine, turning the key in the ignition to start it up again.

The car spluttered, but, otherwise, nothing happened.

She frowned and tried again, but, still, nothing.

She groaned, thumping her head on the steering wheel, nearly giving herself a heart attack when the horn blared.

"Fuck."

She popped the hood, and went to have a look, knowing it was pointless. Even if she somehow managed to figure out the problem, she didn't know anything about cars to fix it.

All she could do was wait until someone came along who could help, so, she slammed the hood down again and sat on it, hoping like hell that the next person to come along the road wasn't the inevitable serial killer she was becoming more and more paranoid about.