Knots Of Love

Slightly Stoopid: False Rhythms 

You best believe in the righteous man, 

Who puts his hands free to show you the way

And if the road to life yes it's going up, 

But don't fall down, you'll wind up losing the rest rest rest

She had most of her violet hair piled on top of her head, with just a little on the bottom sectioned off, which he was twisting and knotting into dreadlocks.

She only wanted a few underneath, she'd decided, and he sectioned off her hair, tying the rest out of the way.  Then he'd twist it a little, divide it in half and pull the strands, tangling them together.  This didn't take too long, but crocheting them took a little while, pulling the flyways into the centre to form the knots needed, and after some time, she had seven completed dreadlocks in the bottom layer.

He let the rest of it down to tumble over her shoulders, then brushed it to the side, exposing the creamy skin of her neck, enticing him.  For a second, he wondered how she would react if he kissed her there.  Would she think it was weird?  Probably.

She didn't know that he was thinking that, and she brushed her fingers though the bottom layers of her hair, catching up one of the dreads and examined it, then turned to look over her shoulder at him, smiling.

"They're so cool," she said, turning around to put her arms around his neck.  "Thank you."

"You're welcome," he laughed, returning her hug, his smile broadening when she pressed her lips quickly to the corner of his jaw before drawing away, immediately feeling like an idiot for doing it.

She liked the way they felt in her hair, and kept running her fingers through the underneath to feel them, smiling happily, using it as a distraction from looking at him.

He didn't know she wanted to kiss him just as much as he did.  Instead, they laid down side by side to listen to the rain on the tin roof and the trees and the puddles.  He drew her closer to him and she rested her head on his shoulder, smiling as she felt him press his mouth to her forehead.

She tilted her face up toward him, hesitating for a second before brushing her lips against his.  The tension left her and relief took its place when he responded by tangling his fingers in her hair, pulling her closer and deepening the kiss.

There was almost no distance between them, but he felt like she was still too far away, and he gently pulled her over, closer, so she had to lean down toward him.  She didn't want to tell him she was feeling really awkward because she wasn't used to it.  But, at the same time, she kind of liked being there.  She just didn't know if she was doing it right.

He picked up on her nervousness and smiled, ending the kiss.  He pulled her hair back behind her ear as she stared down at him, and his hands found their way to the curves of her waist, coming to rest there.

"I think the rain stopped," he realized, suddenly, breaking the silence.  The only sound from outside was the constant calling of frogs and the occasional drip of rain from the leaves of the trees landing on the roof.

She hadn't noticed it, either, until he'd pointed it out.  They'd both been kind of preoccupied, after all.