15: Paranoid

Sublime: Scarlet Begonias

She wore scarlet begonias tucked into her curls,

I knew right away that she was not like other girls

"How far is it to the mechanic's from here?"  She asked, trying not to fidget.

"Not too far," I assured her, reaching my hand out the window to feel the breeze through my fingers.  "Maybe ten minutes?"

"Cool," she nodded.

"So, you're travelling alone?" I glanced at her, trying to gauge her reaction.

She hesitated and shrugged.

"It's dangerous," I reminded her, and she nodded again.

"I know."

"Cool, though."

"Pardon?"

"It's cool, that you don't need to bring anyone with you.  Like, you're not scared to do it on your own."

"It's just one of those things I needed to do," she explained with a shrug.

"That's why I think it's cool," I told her.  "A lot of people wouldn't have the guts to do what you're doing."

"Hmm..."

"What brought you along this way?"

"Just following the road," she said after a seconds pause.  "I don't really know I just..."

She pursed her lips and shrugged, words failing to explain whatever instinct had driven her decision.

"Felt it?"  I supplied, and she nodded.

"I'm surprised I haven't chickened out yet," she laughed nervously.  "Have you ever seen Wolf Creek?"

"Yeah," I grinned.  "Probably not a good one to watch before going."

"That's what I did..."

"Really?"  I asked incredulously.  "What were you thinking, dude?"

"I was trying to prepare myself!"

"For getting lost in the outback and chased by a killer?"

"Yeah."

"How has that worked out for you?"

"I'm feeling pretty paranoid," she admitted and I laughed.