Recharging

Ash was as eager as Kyra to explore the forest and the river.  She followed him through the dense underbrush until it opened out, and they no longer had to push through the bushes and bracken. 

There was a vague path outlined along the ground, and they followed it for about twenty minutes, the sound of cascading water growing closer and closer.

It wasn't a huge waterfall, maybe fifteen feet high, falling down into a gurgling river that trickled away over smooth, polished brown rocks.  The river itself was really only knee deep, ankle deep at the shallow parts, but there were deeper pools all around, some big, some small.  Ash loved it right away.

Kyra explained to her how, on hot days, they would all spend the day here, cooling off.   He told her how he and Rae often took crystals here to recharge their energies in the running water.  Together, they found a small pool where the water was running slowly, and she took off her amethyst and wedged it carefully between two rocks so that the current wouldn't carry it away.

She watched as Kyra ducked beneath a section of falling water, disappearing from view behind it, and she followed, hesitating as the cool water splashed her, the soft, misty particles swirling through the air, collecting on her skin and hair.

She could see him waiting for her, now that she was close, through the trickling water, and she held her hand beneath the water, snatching it back when she realised how cold it was.

"Are you serious?"  She asked, dismayed.  "It's freezing."

"Come on, princess," he teased, "come check it out."

He reached through the water, grabbing both her arms and pulled her through the falls, into the tiny cave hidden behind, laughing as she squealed when the cold water spilt over her, drenching through her clothes.

"Kyra!"  She gasped, brushing her wet hair back from her face, wiping beneath her eyes, hoping her eyeliner hadn't smudged.

He didn't mind that her hair hung like wet rats tails over her shoulders, or that she stood with her arms crossed over her chest, now that her wet shirt was clinging to her body and kind of see through.  He really didn't mind that part, though, he wasn't that perverted that he made a point of staring.

"It wasn't that bad, was it?"  He teased, putting his arm around her shoulders as she shivered.

"Yes," she answered, subconsciously leaning into him for his warmth.

"We have to do it again to get out of here, you realise?"  He reminded her, laughing as she groaned in despair.