Reunited

Kyra and I cooked dinner tonight, and Rae and Caleb washed up.  We all hung out for a little while, after, then Kyra and I went out to the shed.  We'd decided to keep the spare room free and keep on renting it out to travellers, and, since the shed was plenty big enough, I would share it with Kyra, which he seemed more than happy about.

"I have something," he told me suddenly, as though he'd just remembered.  "I found it in the river."

I looked at him quizically as went to his glass bowl of crystals, picking one off the top.  I recognised it straight away, the purple hue glinting as the moonlight caught my amethyst that I'd left behind the day I'd run away.

I smiled ecstatically as he handed it to me, clutching it tightly to my chest.

"I thought this was gone forever," I told him, tracing the black velvet with my fingers.  "Thank you for keeping it for me."

"You're welcome," he told me as I tried, and failed, to fasten it around my neck again.

"Here," he said, coming to stand behind me.  He took the amethyst from me and I held my hair up, away from my neck.  I shivered as his fingers brushed against my skin, cool yet comforting at the same time.

"Thank you," I said again, smiling as he pressed his mouth to the corner of my jaw.

"You're sure you're okay with this decision?"  He asked me, for what felt like the millionth time.

"Yes, Kyra," I insisted, standing on my toes to brush my mouth over his.  "I'm certain.  Stop stressing."

"I'm just making sure," he reminded me, catching me around the waist.  "I don't want you running off, again."

He meant it as a joke, but I winced, feeling a pang of guilt as he reminded me of what I'd done.

"Hey," he said softly, noticing my expression, "don't look like that.  It worked out in the end, didn't it?"

"I still feel like an asshole," I confided, but he smiled kindly, drawing me a little closer.

"You're a lot of things, Ash," he said, "and I could go on all night about how great I think you are because of them, but you're not an asshole."

I smiled, glancing down at the miniscule space left between us, and dropped my head down onto his shoulder.

"Thanks, Kyra," I told him, "I needed to hear that."

Stardust (Complete)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें