The Thing

Keira was a bubbly blonde chick only two years younger than Ash. She greeted Kyra with a hug, then Ash as well, when he introduced them, as though they were old friends. Ash liked her already.

She was a waitress at one of the cafe's, but lived with Kyra, and Edgy, who was her boyfriend, and their two other friends, Caleb and his girlfriend, Rae.

The three of them got into Kyra's car and began the trip back to their house. Normally, Ash wouldn't even think of getting into a strange guy's car and letting him drive her into the forest, but, she felt a little better since Keira was there, too. It was stupid, she knew, things could still turn ugly even with another chick there, but she tried to forget about it. She was up shit creek right now, what was she meant to do?

On their way along the winding road through the mountains, Ash spotted a broken surfboard on the corner.  It was painted brightly, yellow, green and blue standing out among the overgrown grass.  In vivid red writing, the words Room For Rent, were painted on it, along with a mobile number beneath that.

"Is that your surfboard?"  Ash asked, turning back as they passed by it.

"It was," Kyra told her with a sheepish smile, "until I ate shit right on top of a reef."

"That was the day Kyra ended up in hospital!"  Keira told Ash, her eyes sparkling brightly with mischief.  "Though, he was more upset that he broke his board than he was that he broke his shoulder."

"I liked that board," Kyra defended, swerving around a pothole.

"You broke your shoulder in the water?"  Ash exclaimed.

"Yup."

"How did you swim back?"  She wondered.

"Fucking painfully," he laughed.

"He cried," Keira teased, grinning at Kyra playfully.

"Don't remember that," he replied, smiling back.  "I really wanted to, but I wanted the other guys to think I was cool."

"He didn't," Keira confessed.  "But, he was pretty sulky about the whole not- being- able- to- surf- or- work- for- six- weeks thing."