Green

It took a couple of hours for us to come down completely, then we were both just tired. Ashley had spent a long time staring at the mandala hanging above my head, and I realised I'd spent just as long staring at her.

I liked being high, all your senses were heightened, and you found beauty in everything that you ever knew was there.  Ash was like a pretty little doll, staring thoughtfully, a secretive smile playing over her lips.

She'd opened up a little, let me see a part of her that I knew she never showed to anyone.

She covered another yawn and sat up from where she was laying beside me, both of us trying not to fall asleep.

"Need a coffee?"  I wondered, and she nodded.

We climbed off the bed together and left the shed to go inside to the kitchen.

I stirred in the coffee, putting extra milk in so that they weren't too hot.  It was a warm day, still, which really wasn't helping how sluggish we were both feeling.

"I hate being tired," Ashley complained.  "It's so unproductive."

"I know," I agreed, "instead of feeling all crappy and lazy, why can't we feel normal but, like... glow green or something, instead."

"Green?"  She dissolved into a fit of laughter, "why?"

"So I can still be productive, but then I know when I need to start slowing down."

It was a decent explanation, I thought, but it did nothing to help her laughter, and all I could do was stand there helplessly as she wiped the tears from her eyes.

"Oh, my god," she finally managed to gasp, "I think I just laughed myself a six- pack."