Ice

I'd been fighting to stay awake for a while now, and decided to close my eyes for just a second, which was a mistake, because I couldn't muster the will power to force them open again.  I was lost, halfway between being awake and asleep.

I knew Kyra was beside me, his chest rising and falling rhythmically, lulling me even further into the realm of sleep.

I knew where I was, and I knew who I was, but I also knew that I was a bird, flying through the water, beneath a sheet of ice.  I knew I had to break the ice, or I'd drown.  I flew closer so that I could press my hands against it and let my body heat melt it so that I could breath.  

The only issue was, I couldn't melt it fast enough because I wasn't big enough, and I was too cold.  Even if I could, I didn't have hands; I had wings because I was a bird.

It didn't matter, I wasn't under the ice anymore.  I wasn't even a bird anymore.  I never was, I'd always been me, in this room, laying next to Kyra.  Nope, laying on Kyra.  At least, kind of.

I only realised when I felt his fingers against my cheek, brushing my hair back to check if I was asleep, still.  Which, of course, I wasn't.

I lifted my head from his chest and sat up, pulling my hair back behind my ear trying to hide my embarrassment.  Did I seriously just fall asleep using his shoulder as a pillow?

"I didn't mean to fall asleep," I apologised.

"It's alright," he replied kindly, tracing his fingers down my spine, "I wasn't far behind you."