Embrace

We were both pretending to be asleep, but we could both tell that the other wasn't, so we stopped pretending and just cuddled up, instead.  Then, I opened my eyes, and found her watching me already.

"Morning, beautiful," I said to her, smiling.  I readjusted my grip on her as she pushed herself up from where she lay on me, leaning down to brush her soft lips over mine.

"Good morning," she responded, her eyes heavy and sleepy, still.  "It looks like it's going to be nice, today."

"Does it?"  I wondered, brushing my fingers through her hair.  I could have just looked out the window and seen for myself, but, I couldn't take my eyes off her.  I could have, I suppose, I just didn't want to.

"Mhm," she nodded, then tilted her head slightly, letting her hair fall to the side.  "Kyra, will you take me to the waterfall again, today?"

I nodded and sat up, gathering her into a quick hug.  I twined my fingers in her hair, just to savour her softness.

"Sure," I replied.

She relaxed against my shoulder, letting out a small sigh, so our hug lasted a lot longer than I had expected it to.  Which was fine by me; I would have held onto her forever.

Finally, she broke the embrace, and the two of us climbed out of bed and changed.

We started the morning the right way, with coffee in the stump chairs, listening to the early birds calling, the rustle as the breeze carressed the leaves of the forest surrounding us. 

It was bliss, and neither of us spoke much, just sharing an appreciation for our surroundings as the sun peaked above the tree tops and began to warm the earth, drying up the dew that spotted the patches of grass from over night.

"You wanna go?"  I wondered, breaking the long silence that had fallen over us.

She nodded, and I offered her my hand, pulling her to her feet, then we made our way through the forest, following the animal track, all the way to the waterfall.