Crescendo

Every Thursday night, there was a market on in the main street of the town.  Kee suggested that they should take Ash to see it, so they all drove down together to check it out and see what it had to offer.

So many different smells filled the air, the scent of freshly cooked food mingled with the sweetness of handmade soy candles and soaps, bubbles and delicate music dancing through the scents, weaving an intricate pattern all around.

A crowd had gathered around a dark haired girl dressed like a gypsy, wearing a long skirt, her mocha skin glowing in the late evening sun.   Her dark, curling hair cascaded down her back to her waist, fanning out as she whirled and spun, tapping the palm of her hand against a tambourine as the rest of the street band played along with an assortment of acoustic guitars, bongos and flutes.

Ashley was transfixed on them, the music captivating her soul, making her subconsciously sway in time as the beat heightened to a cascading crescendo.

The girl spun and spun and spun until Ash was dizzy just from watching her, but she didn't stop.  She grabbed Ash's hand and pulled her out from the safety of the crowd that had gathered to watch, spinning her around with her.

Normally, Ash would be terrified to dance in public like this, and, even though she tried to resist, the other girl wouldn't let her go, and, after a few daunting moments, Ash began to laugh as the girl whirrled her around in a crazy dance along to the crazy music.

The tempo grew faster and faster, so fast that she had no idea how she could possibly keep up, then, just as quickly as it had began, it abruptly stopped, the magic was broken, and Ash blinked, fading back into the crowd as it began to disperse.

Ash was still feeling the effects of the magic the band had woven, and she stood, watching them quickly pack up their instruments.  The other girl noticed her watching, and came toward her, her long skirt billowing around her as she glided, bare foot, over the ground.

The girl had an exotic accent that Ashley couldn't quite place, and one of the sweetest smiles she'd ever seen, one that could assure even the most broken person that everything would be okay. 

She told Ash that there was music in everything, always playing, in one form or another, if only we would listen.  She told her that our body's natural instinct was to respond to the melody that the universe played into our souls, all we had to do was let go and allow it to.  She said that if she was ever presented with the chance to dance, that she should always dance.

Then, she was gone.