Chapter Twenty-Three

*Alexandrielle's POV*

    Head pounding, blood pulsing in my ears, heart beating erratically...a reaction when you see something that could throw you off guard.

    There lay a new desk, not that hard mahogany wood desk he has before, instead, it is replaced with a hard wooden desk with corinthian style, dark brown colored with a mirror in its top. But what really throws me off guard is the picture frame of me and Zach when he kneeled in front of me just so to put the engagement ring on my finger. The memory brought bittersweet sensation through me that made my eyes water.

    Slowly but surely, Zach turned his head behind him to see where my line of sight is. Almost immediately, a pink tinge spread across his cheeks as he clears his throat.

    Looking back at him, he is looking at me as if reviving the memory himself too.

    "Uhhh...sorry about that" he scratched the back of his head as he looks around sheepishly, a mannerism of his when he is uncomfortable. "You could wait for me in the couch if you'd like" he offered as he walks to a side and switched something off with one last bashful glance at the photo frame, which I figured is the Air Con for the room immediately warmed up after it.

    Going to the couch, I sat down with a shaky breath. I watched as he sat down on the desk, looking at the piles of stacked papers, his lips turn into a distasteful pout before taking a pen and started on his work.

    About 15 minutes or so, the cold started to seep in again and I whimpered, thankfully it is not as bad as before.

    Zach's eyes flickered to mine. Immediately, he stopped what he's doing and walked towards me. Shaking my head lightly as a silent message to say I'm fine, he gave me a stern look as he scooped me up effortlessly. His eyes turning bright red for a second before flashing back to it's dark obsidian ones. I couldn't help but notice that he's been more aggressive lately, getting provoked so easily. His eyes are also getting darker and darker everyday, face getting sharper and he starts to grow bigger.

    His warm embrace stopped that chill and I quite notice that he's also been distracted for the past days.

    Staying in the same position for a while, a knock interrupted the silent atmosphere and Zach reluctantly let me go.

    Walking to the door of his office, his steps almost echoing through the whole place.

    Once he had opened it, Mr. Harrison immediately barged in without a second thought. His eyes flickered to mine and he flashed me a warning look. I know he's still cautious of what I'll do like last time and his warning is not missed by Zach.

    "Take that off before your grandfather finds that or anyone at his dominion" Mr. Harrison pointed at the picture frame but Zach just stared at him unfazed.

    "It stays there. There are lots of excuse to come up with if he asks. Having a picture of you and your fiancé is not bad to have it in your office" Zach said sternly with some underlying meaning to it. Mr. Harrison lightly sneered at him before replying.

    "You can't be sure especially that he's already suspicious of you"