Chapter Twenty-Nine

*Alexandrielle's POV*

    My feet automatically lead me to their direction. Zach seemed to be instructing him very carefully and firmly but the question in my mind is such a mystery. How do they know each other? Sure the rumor of being betrothed to Zach had spread but they never met in person...ever! Then how come they seem to know each other longer than what I thought they are?

    Zach's eyes snapped to my approaching form as soon as Edmund started to leave.

    "Edmund!" I called out as Zach started to meet me halfway. Edmund turned his head to look at me but he was expressionless. He was never like that, always warm and welcoming and never impassive.

    Looking at him wide eyed, he is so emotionless...almost hollow. My breath hitched in my throat. Zach just gives him a nod before he finally left completely. I tried to run after him but Zach stopped me by placing his hands on my waist.

    "It's time to go"

    "No!" I stepped out from his hold as he gives me a wary look. "What was that? Is he working with you? How do you know each other? Why is he here? What are you guys talking about?" I asked him continuously while he just stare at me impassively.

    "Lex, it is something that is not your concern." Zach said carefully as he took a step closer to me, I stepped back.

    "None of my concern? Zach, he just gave me that look. That look that makes me see he is not the person I've grown up with. He seems hollow. He is my friend Zach, the very person that protected me when I was young and the person that distracted me after you hurted me at school" a flash of guilt and remorse took over his features before going back to his impassiveness. He's been putting his guard up lately.

    "Lex, he's not in a stable state right now. His...his family died in an accident and he asked me to give him any job that could distract him from the pain. From the look you're giving me I know you think I'm up to something bad when in truth I'm doing what I know is right right now. So please if you want to argue and accuse me at things, do that when we're in the jet. We're getting late"

    My eyes dropped to the ground. Feeling as if I've lost something so dear. Edmund...he's been my protector for as long as I can remember. He counts me as a family of his and I know, losing your whole family is something that turns you into a walking dead like everything is of no value to you anymore. I haven't experienced losing any loved ones of mine but I have experienced pain like his. Mine is losing them at young age, alive but never really there for me. His is cared for and loved, but now dead; leaving him only an empty feeling that couldn't be filled.

    A tug on my hand has me lifting my sad gaze to Zach's soft ones. "He'll be fine, Lex. He needs time. Time heals everything no matter how long it takes."

    Nodding my head, he leads me to the jet where Tyson is hollering 'slow folks' from the window.

    Finally getting in, both of them have these cheeky smiles on their faces.

    "I thought you guys are going to have world war three out there" Tyson commented as Zach glared at him.

    "I think world war three will happen here if you both don't stop making fun of us. One more taunting word from you and you're out of the jet, even if I have to throw you out of the sky" Zach threatened but it only causes Tyson to bit his lip to stopping himself from laughing. This guy has a very easy sense of humor, laughing at things that shouldn't be laughed at. I think he's crazy or something.

    "That will probably happen" Tyron commented as he flashes us a mischievous smile.

    What are they up to?