#67 Friendship

"Are we still friends Jay?"

Simran was playing with her curls while her eyes focussed on the ground. Her voice was strong and confident, but those eyes, they sung a different song. They still wasn't ready to stare into his while asking this question. There was a fear in them. What if he said no? And being the confident girl that she was, she wasn't ready to reveal her tears if he said that.

"Why do you even doubt it Simi? You of all people should have known better," he let out a disappointed sigh, "You know what friendship means to me. Once a friend, always a friend. For me, there's no full stop to that relationship."

A lone tear escaped her eye. Yes, she should have known better. Friendship has always been a special relationship for him. And yet, his behavior in the past couple of weeks had been so odd. That is what led to this whole situation.

"Then why has it gone silent Jay? We meet everyday but don't talk much. Those late night chats have all died down. We haven't even shared a golgappa since a couple of weeks. We call ourselves friends, right? Then why do we act like strangers Jay?"

A smile crossed his lips hearing those words. This girl had always been complex, there was no countering that. And yet, she was the wave of silence which his chaotic mind needed. Just a minute with her and he'd forget all his worries. Her smile had the power to break all his barriers, while her tears could leave him drowned in her emotions.

Yes. Emotions. That was the thing which governed their friendship.

"I've always believed that our friendship is different Simi. No doubt it began just like everyone else, but over the years, it has evolved into something special.

"Yes, we don't talk much. Yes, our chats have shortened. But then, ask yourselves Simi, do we really need those kind of fake entities?"

Guilt evident in her features, Simran shook her head in a no. Not wanting to see her cry, Jay quickly engulfed her in a hug.

"It's these little things which matter Simi," he whispered, "A sudden wink, silent pat on the back, a warm hug. It's these little things which matter.

"Our friendship ain't empty to chatter all the time. It's full of my words and it's full of your emotions. And if it's really special, I think it's allowed such silent moments. After all, the sound of this silence would talk much more than what we ever can."

After a brief pause, he stared in her eyes and asked again.

"So now tell me Simi, are we still friends?"

A rain of tears was still pouring from her eyes, but this time, the light of his friendship cast a rainbow of her smile. The emotional girl burst in with laughter. She knew that he was the only one who could make her laugh like that.

It may face moments of silence, it may face fights and anger; but she knew that their friendship was there to stay forever.

"I don't understand why do you even ask that mister."

***

"Friendship is defined by those small little emotions. Emotions, which only friends can understand."

"The moment you feel like your friendship needs to be shown to the world, understand that it's pillars have started to lose their strength."

***

What's your definition of friendship?