#90 Moon

They watched the angry sun get lost in the cool blue sea. Light was still there, the remnants of its rays were still there, but that warmth had suddenly vanished. Her eyes were trained on the horizon watching it change its shade.

Beside her, he sat silently holding her hand. Such moments were rare in their busy lives and so, whenever they met, he wished to cherish each and every second of it.

"Sunsets are so beautiful," she drew his attention, "Not only because they cast this incredible painting over the canvas of sky, but also because they reveal a sparkling world of the moon and the stars."

He too loved to watch the sunsets and admired those twinkling stars when they were in their glory. But apart from the stars, he didn't like the nights much. How can someone like a dark world?

Though he always knew that she loved the moon much more than the sun, he never thought of asking the reason for it. Today, he felt like doing it.

"Why do you love the moon so much? It glows on the borrowed light and keeps revolving around us. Then why do you love something whose life is not its own?"

"Hmm..." she whispered leaning back on the soft sand. He too sprawled beside her before fixing his eyes on the sky above. Sure enough, the moon was there, an unmistakable crescent right above them. Around it, the stars were slowly fading in from the light.

"I love this moon because it's the only one there when I'm left alone in my solace. Or maybe because our lives are so similar. Even my life has no purpose, it revolves around the others and my thoughts are nothing more than some ideas borrowed from the others. Maybe that's why I like it more."

He hunched on his shoulder and looked at her face. She stared back at him and she knew how wrong she was. His famous lecture of everyone has a purpose in life and how it just awaits to be discovered was just round the corner. She could sense it. Before he could start, she turned her eyes away and again admired the moon above.

That was a signal for him to just let it go this time. He quietly lay back adoring the stars again. That was the beauty of their friendship, they didn't need words to convey their feelings. Such silent moments were enough for them.

"You want to know the real reason?"

He squeezed her hand as he turned a bit towards her. This time, she didn't look back at him. She was afraid he might notice the vulnerability in her eyes. She kept staring at the moon as she spoke.

"With its light, that sun might see everything that I do, but only this moon knows all my secrets."

He didn't know what to say.

"This moon, it is my secret keeper, my best friend. That's why I like it the most."

***

What do you like the most, Sun, Moon or the Stars?
Why?

***

Inspired from some lines by Bubble1727