#93 Suicide

"Your tea mam."

The peon placed a cup of tea on her desk. She glanced up from her files and nodded at him.

"Thank you, Shankar. I'll have that in a while."

Shankar nodded and left to distribute tea to the others. When he returned after an hour, her cup of tea still lay there on the desk, untouched.

She had totally forgot that in the burden of her work. Watching Shankar return, she quickly put her pen aside and reached for the cup. But Shankar picked it up before she could.

Her tired eyes found his asking the reason.

"There's a fly in there mam. I'll just bring you another one."

His compassion hit her sometimes. Never in her five years of service had she seen him get angry. Not even when he had to do the work again on account of their mistakes.

"No, no, it's fine Shankar. I'm leaving in half an hour anyways. I'll have one at home."

He gave her a knowing smile and continued collecting the other's cup.

The events were almost repeated the next day.

"You tea mam," he said placing a cup of tea on her desk.

"I'll have it in a while Shankar," she smiled pleasingly.

Though Shankar had learnt his lesson yesterday. He knew she won't have it till her work is finished. He also knew how much she loved tea and how it was an elixir for her. She needed it. More than anyone else.

And so, he had to make her drink it.

"Mam, do have it before another fly decides to suicide in it."

They both laughed at his comment as she finished her tea right before him.