#114 A Rainy Day

Raindrop was really happy today. After years of hardwork, he had finally received a promotion today. He still couldn't believe that the darkest cloud himself had come to hand over the promotion letter to him. He knew some fellow drops who had received their letters in the Wind Mail. And so, to get it the way he did was really an honor. Wow. He still couldn't believe he was finally in the Heavy Rains squad. It wasn't as if the Light Sprinkles were bad. They were the coolest group he had spent his time with. But the speed limits had started to irritate him now. With the Heavy Rains, he can finally be free.

As he lined up for the launch over the town, he could still feel the excitement in his waters. As their cloud took its position over the city, all the drops lashed out on the beautiful little city.

Unaware of the coming downpour, the city was silently going about its work. Finishing her classes, Ridhi was heading for her home when the rains decided to make an entrance. Usually, she loved to dance in the rain and feel those drops trickle down her body, but after reaching a rain of punishments in school, she was in no mood to enjoy the natural rain. Cursing her luck, she pulled out her olive colored umbrella and got under its cover. But then, she wasn't the only unhappy out there.

The umbrella was cursing its luck too. When there were light sprinkles around, it loved to flaunt its color to the world. Though the moment Ridhi opened it today, it glanced at the sky and saw it covered in a veil of black. Those dark clouds meant only one thing, heavy rains. And being out in the heavy rains had always been trouble for the umbrella. There was always a risk of breaking, blowing away or even worse, have holes in its dress. It wasn't built for the heavy rains. But then, who'd tell that to Ridhi? When have these kids listened to anyone?

On the other hand, Raindrop was enjoying his first day at office. Most of his colleagues had already left the comfort of cloud and now in the last stack, it was his turn to embark on the journey. The moment he was in the open air, he wished to splash hard on the mother Earth and get dispersed in her crevices. But luck wasn't on his side today. He did splash hard, but instead on the rough and tough land, he felt a soft cushion under him. For a brief moment he thought he might be in a plant's embrace. Though all his hopes shattered when his land started to move. Humans and their machines, he thought cursing the unexpected intervention, why can't they just stay in their homes while we played our little game? Why do they have to poke their noses everywhere?

There were no answers. After all, life hadn't gone the way they wanted for anyone. And so, accepting the fault in their stars, Ridhi, her umbrella and Raindrop, all began the journey to her home.

Avoiding the puddles, Ridhi walked as fast as she could. But her umbrella wasn't satisfied. Every extra second spent in the heavy rains ran the risk of damage. It wanted Ridhi to walk faster or even run. While the Raindrop on other hand shouted for Ridhi to slow down. He was having a hard time holding on to the umbrella and falling down in one of those puddles didn't seem like a great prospect. He wanted her to drive safe.

But then, humans will always stay humans. Ignoring both the pleas, Ridhi walked at her own sweet pace. Too fast for the Raindrop and too slow for the umbrella. After an agonizing half an hour layer, they finally reached her home.

Ridhi heaved a sigh of relief.

The rains were strong but they weren't able to breach her defense. She had managed to fortify her castle and stay dry withing its walls. Satisfied, she folded her umbrella and kept it on a chair before disappearing into her room to refresh.

The umbrella heaved a sigh of relief.

It was a test of its endurance out there and it was happy to announce that it had passed with flying colors. The rains had tried to bend it and break it, but it was successful in keeping the kid safe. That happiness on the kids face was the ultimate gift it could ever get. Enjoying the warmth of its favorite chair, umbrella drifted into a much earned slumber.

Raindrop heaved a sigh of relief.

Patience and determination, they were the two key words he was made to remember during the training. And today, during his first journey with the Heavy Rains, those two words had kept him alive. Any other drop would have choosed to give it up and get lost in the maze of puddles. But he was determined to live another second. Patiently, he had clung on to the soft land and his efforts were rewarded in the end. After an eternity of chaos, he was relishing the moment of silence. Sliding down over the edge of that soft land, he was ready to explore a new world.

Once refreshed, Ridhi entered the main room once again just to be hit by a wave of hotness. Sure, the rains had spread a coolness in the air, but it had been at the cost of humidity. Sensing the beads of sweat forming on her forehead, she flipped a switch ON.

As soon as the current knocked on its door, the ceiling fan blared into life. Collecting all the air above, it threw it down with as much force as its companion, the regulator, permitted. The air made its way past the blades to watch an expression of relaxation spread over Ridhi's face. But what was the human's gain was someone else's loss. As soon as the first wave of air had hit them, both, the umbrella and Raindrop registered their displeasure. The air had not only disturbed the umbrella's peaceful sleep, it was trying to save the little Raindrop's existence.

Though, that moment of disturbance came as a blessing in disguise for the umbrella. Standing upright for so long had made its spokes numb. That tiny gust of air allowed it to roll over and sprawl itself on its favorite chair. But nothing of that mattered Raindrop. He was fighting a battle of his own. A battle of survival. And he was sad to say that he was losing it gracefully.

While Ridhi and her umbrella drifted into their sleep, the happiness of being home was evident in their features. Raindrop, on the other hand, disappeared into thin air, never to be seen again. Hopefully, the air blew him to his home too.

After all, being at home has always been the ultimate pleasure.

***

A shorty by undoubtedlymine