#111 Poetry

When he entered her room, he was surprised to see her calm and quiet. After what happened in college today, he expected the tantrums to follow home. For a change though, she wasn't making any fuss.

She just sat there on the window sill with a pencil in hand and her favorite diary in her lap. He knew what she was doing even before he sat beside her.

That red diary was the one which held all her poems. Yes, the poems which were never to be showed to the world. They were born between those pages and they'll die in there too. He still didn't understand why she refused to show the poems she wrote, but then, he didn't ask her either. He respected her privacy.

"You have tears in your eyes and still you make your pen talk?"

She was so engrossed in her own thoughts that she didn't realize he was there till he spoke. Yes, she was sad. What happened at college could have been avoided. It was partially her fault too. That whole event was still in the back of her mind. But the same mind of hers was also churning out a poem.

"Maybe it's my tears which drive the poems?" she asked shielding her diary  a bit.

He smiled at her gesture. That one smile told her that he knew why she closed her diary. At the same time, it relaxed her too. He'd never glance in her diary until she permitted. She trusted him on that. After all, he was one of those few people who understood her. If there was anything didn't like about him, it was his habit to ask questions. His stock never finished.

"But wasn't your last poem written after the little party that we had? You were so happy that time. I didn't see any tears."

When it came to him, it didn't matter how much his questions irritated her, because they made her think as well. And just like always, he was asking the right questions. She knew he was right. She had written a poem when she was happy and now she was writing one when sad. That's when she realized that there was no particular mood for poetry.

"Maybe you're right. It's not a particular mood which does the trick, it's the emotions which stir those poems."

He heard her words and began staring outside the window. Just when she thought he agreed, his voice rang again.

"Poetry itself is a beautiful emotion. I guess it shouldn't be a surprise if another emotion drives it."

All she could do was just stare at him with awe. When did this troublemaker got so thoughtful?

"Wow, you're deep yourselves." She said without thinking about it.

The girl of his dreams had complimented him. Anyone else would have been jumping around by now. But that devilish mind of his had already hatched a perfect reply.

"Oh really? Which well do I reside in?"

That sarcastic comment accomplished its purpose within no time. It instantly spread a smile on her face. There might be people who can understand her, but he was the only one who could make her smile at times like this. That was why she loved him so much.

But before leaving her room for dinner, she didn't forget to give him a fitting reply.

"In the deepest well that you can find."

***

"World might laugh with you and cry for you, but only some special people have the power to make you smile in the times of adversity."

***

Based on a poem by xx_elixir_xx and our comments on it.