#128 Death

I was leisurely spending my morning on a swing when I saw it come and sit at its usual place. That pillar at the far end of the terrace was its usual place to spend the afternoon. The beam on top provided a perfect shade from the scorching sun and the pelting rain.

But, it was early today.

At this time of the day, it could be found wandering around to fill its little tummy. And so, its appearance at this hour did raise some doubts.

I watched as it slowly closed the eyes and went into a sleep. I was about to go back home relaxed when I saw it sway a bit. Before I could even comprehend what was happening, it fell.

The pigeon fell down from the pillar in its sleep.

I rushed to see what happened. It was moving, no doubt about it, but its wings looked to be damaged. I went near it and made some noise in order to flee it away, but all it did was just walk away a bit. I ran near it, hurried it, and it ran away. It didn't flap its wings at all. It looked helpless out there.

And there was nothing that I could do.

After a little while, it lost its will to live. And why won't it? Its most priceless possession was lost to it.

The one who was used to soar the sky lay helpless, its wings lost to it.

And I could do nothing. I just stood there and watched it all happen.

Maybe I'm the villain here. Maybe I could have helped it. Maybe I could've just done something, anything.

But the time has gone now.