#81 Heartbreak

She thought it was just another day when they'd be meeting at their beach. But she didn't knew he had other plans.

As he approached her, there was a glint in his eyes and genuine excitement in his walk. Even before he reached her, she saw him open his mouth to say something but no words came out. There was a flustered look on his face.

And that's when she saw the signs of it. He looked down, bent his knee a bit and was about to kneel down. Yes, he was going to propose her.

The thought horrified her.

Yes, they had known each other since a couple of years. They were really good friends. Maybe a bit more than that. But things had escalated in this last couple of months.

They were at a friend's birthday party when the idiots decided to play truth or dare. A could of rounds into it and he was dared to propose her. He did without a hesitation. And proposed with such intensity that everyone thought it was real. She was rescured from the embarrassment when the others clapped, cheered but eventually laughed it off.

Something happened that day though. It made them realize what they actually feel for each other. Unknowingly, their true emotions had surfaced. And since that day, they had been playing the game of so-called love.

But now that he was proposing, she doubted her emotions. Goofing around was one thing, but officially calling it a relationship, announcing it to the whole world, marrying eventually. No. She wasn't ready.

"I don't love you anymore," she blurted even before he was fully down.

He just stopped midway, hunched over the way he was. As he looked up, confusion and bewilderment were clear on his face.

"What are you talking about," he asked in utter horror, "I'm just tying my laces."

Her face quickly turned red as a blush crept over it.

"I'll...I will meet you tomorrow."

She just ran away from the scene. He called behind her, but she didn't stop. She didn't have the words to talk to him right now. All she had was a hope. A hope that he doesn't reveal this in front of their friends.

Her heart broke even before it was locked into a cage. And that was a weirdly funny feeling.

***

"Always allow your mates to speak first before you jump to a conclusion."

***

Inspired from a flash tale by AnAspiringSoul