#82 A Tree Called Friendship

"Will you be my friend?"

She sat beside him eating her favorite sandwiches. Much to her displeasure, he picked up a sandwich from her lunchbox.

"Hmm...this is tasty. Did you make them?"

She had known him for a week now. She knew how efficiently he changed the topics he wasn't so sure about. But today, she wasn't in the mood to let it go.

"Don't change the topic. Tell me, will you be my friend?"

This time, she held her hand out. Hesitantly, he shook it a bit.

"If I do, what fruits will I reap from this tree?"

He and his metaphors. This was another one of his qualities which she had started liking. Calling friendship as a tree. Now that was new.

"Depends on what seeds you sow."

She made a talking gesture with her hand. Indeed, words were the seeds sown today to shape the page called tomorrow. Nice, he thought, she's learning how to play with words.

"Doesn't it depend on what soil you sow those seeds in?" he pointed to her heart saying that.

She didn't know what to say. They may have met just a week ago, but she was sure he must have seen her mood swing. Her heart was prone to change shades every now and then. Normally it would be red like everyone, but when the moment called, it didn't take much long to show a bit of black. I hope he never has to see that shade.

"Yes, the type of land is important, but what matters more are the fertilizers and pesticides. You need to cherish that tender plant with your smile and cleanse it of all the flaws with your trust."

This time, it was his turn to go speechless. Smile and trust were integral parts of any relationship. Without them, there would be a hollowness which would rot the whole plant. Though, there was still one thing she was forgetting.

"But we also need water, right? It's the lifeline of the whole process. Does that mean that we'd always need to cry?"

No, she wouldn't make him shed his tears. Not while she was around. And she knew he won't let her dams flow too. But then how would their tree grow without water? Even before their journey could start, it was tangled in the web of words. But she was sure they'd find a way around it. Good friends always do.

"We'll grow a cactus for ourselves if that's the case. It'll seek it water from the happy tears we shed."

His heart melted by her words. This little moment had assured him that their friendship was long to live.

"You're forgetting the most important ingredient though."

He was surprised to see her continue their game.

"Which one?"

She took a deep breath before allowing her words to wash over him.

"Care. The most important of them all. You may sow the same seeds, supply the same water, but if you care for your plant, it'll give you the sweetest of fruits.

"Will you care for me Aman? Will you be my friend?"

They shared two more sandwiches to seal their friendship.

Years have passed, yet, no weed has been able to touch the tree of their friendship. Because it had the most important ingredient of them all.

Care.

***

"Care for your friends, because you know they deserve it."