Training

Movie: Captain America: The First Avenger

*Weeks Later*

"Come on, Steve, you can do it" {Y/N} says jogging next to a struggling Steve.

"I-I- I can't do it" He gasps.

"Yes you can, Steve, I'm right here with you" {Y/N} looks up at the flagpole In which Agent Carter was waiting "almost there, just keep going" a few minutes later they and the few other trainees make it to the pole.

*Later that day*

The Colonel and Doctor Erskine stand watching the trainees.

"You're not really thinking about picking Rogers and Barnes, are you?" Phillips asks Erskine nods.

"I am more than just thinking about it. They are a clear choice."

"When you bought a ninety-pound asthmatic and a girl into my army base, I let slide. I thought, what the hell? Maybe they'll be useful to you, like gerbils. I never thought you'd pick them" they both look over to see Steve struggling with his push up and {Y/N} doing somewhat better "stick a needle in his arm and its gonna go right through him and her... well she could probably take it. But look at him, he's making me cry."

"I am looking for qualities beyond physical."

"Do you know how long it took to set up this project?"

"Yeah, I know."

"And all the groveling I had to do in front of senator what's his name."

"I know. I am well aware of your efforts" Erskine says.

"Then throw me a bone. Hodge passed every test we gave him. He's big, he's fast, he obeys orders. He's a soldier."

"He's a bully."

"You don't win wars with niceness, doctor" Philips says taking a hand grenade in his hand "you win war with guts" he throws the grenade towards the training recruits "Grenade!" the recruits quickly scatter except for Steve who had pushed {Y/N} out of the way and had jumped on top of it.

"Get away! Get back!" {Y/N} gets up and moves towards Steve.

"It's a dummy grenade, Steve" {Y/N} whispers, he looks up at her than towards Philips and Erskine.

"Is this a test?" Erskine looks at Philips, who sighs.

"He's still skinny."

*Later that night*

{Y/N} and Steve sit across from Erskine.

"Can I ask you a question?" Steve asks looking down at his hands.

"Just one?" Erskine asks Steve nods.

"Why us?"

"I suppose that is the only question that matters. So many people forget that the first country that the Nazi's invaded was their own. You know, after the last war the...my people struggled. They...they felt weak. They felt small. And then Hitler comes along with the marching and the big show and the flags and the...and the..." Erskine starts, waving his hands about "And he...he hears of me, my work and he finds me. And he says, you...he says you will us strong. Well, I am not interested. So he sends the head of HYDRA, his research division. A brilliant scientist by the name of Johann Schmidt. Now, Schmidt is a member of the inner circle and he's ambitious. He and Hitler share a passion for a cult power and Teutonic myth. Hitler uses his fantasies to inspire his followers. But for Schmidt, it is not fantasy. For him, it is real. He has become convinced that there is a great power in the earth, left there by the Gods, waiting to be seized by a superior man. So when he hears about my formula and what it can do, he cannot resist. Schmidt must become that superior man."

"Did it make him stronger?" {Y/N} asks.

"Yeah. But, there were other effects. The serum was not ready. But more important, the man. The serum amplifies everything that is inside. So, good becomes great. Bad becomes worse. This is why you two were chosen. Because a strong man, who has known power all his life, will lose respect for that power. But a weak man knows the value of strength, and knows compassion."

"Thanks. I think" {Y/N} replies.

"Whatever happens tomorrow, you two must promise me one thing. That you will stay who you are. Not a perfect soldier, but as good people" {Y/N} and Steve nod holding up their glasses to toast.

"To the little guys," Steve says, {Y/N} and himself go to drink from their glasses when Erskine quickly takes them.

"No! No! Wait! Wait! What am I doing? No! you two have a procedure tomorrow. No fluids" he pours the contents of Steve and {Y/N}'s glasses into his.

"All right. We'll drink it after" Steve replies shrugging.

"No! I don't have a procedure tomorrow. Drink it after? Drink it now!" Erskine downs the glass making both {Y/N} and Steve laugh.

*Brooklyn, next morning*

"I know this neighbourhood. I got beat up in that alley. And that parking lot... and behind that diner" Steve says, Agent Carter who was in the middle between him and {Y/N} nods.

"Did you have something against running away?" Agent Carter asks, Steve nods.

"You start running they'll never let you stop. You stand up, push back. Can't say no forever, right?" Steve replies quietly.

"I know what that's like. to have every door shut in your face.

"I guess... I don't know why you'd wanna join the army if you're a beautiful dame. Or a beautiful... woman. An agent, not a dame! You're beautiful, but..." Steve starts his somewhat pale face turning a noticeable shade of red, Agent Carter looks over at {Y/N} who's shaking her head laughing quietly.

"He has no idea how to talk to a woman, does he?" {Y/N} shrugs.

"He can be a little... flushed at times, but I mean, other than me this is the longest conversation he's had with one" Agent Carter laughs lightly also shaking her head.

"Women aren't exactly lining up to dance with me," Steve says.

"You must have danced?!"

"Well... asking a woman to dance always seems so terrifying. And the past few years just didn't seem to matter that much. Figured I'd wait."

"For what?" Steve looks up his eyes briefly meeting Agent Carter's before they settle on {Y/N} who was no longer listing to their conversation and was looking out the window.

"The right partner" Agent Carter looks over at {Y/N} then back to Steve and a smile makes it's way onto her face "what?" she shakes her head.

"Nothing" Steve shrugs it off and looks out his window.

---

~Bread 🍞