What Used To Be

Movie: The Winter Soldier

Inside a bank vault, the HYDRA agents fix Bucky's metal arm and as they do so he has a brief flashback to after he was recovered by Zola and the HYDRA agents.

"Sergeant Barnes..." Zola says hovering above him, he has a flashback to falling off the train with {Y/N}.

"No!" Steve shouts. He then has a flashback to after their picked up by HYDRA agents.

"The procedure has already started" Bucky looks down to see that Zola and the HYDRA agent are amputating his left arm and replacing with the metal arm, he then looks to see {Y/N} next to him a metal arm replacing her right one, she squirms under the touch of a HYDRA agent "you are both to be the new fist of HYDRA. Put them on ice" Bucky comes back to the present and knocks over the HYDRA agent fixing his arm, a man points his gun at him to stop him attacking any further.

"Sir, he's...he's unstable. Erratic" Pierce enters with Rumlow and some other HYDRA agents and goes over to Bucky.

"Mission report" Bucky doesn't respond "Mission report, now" Pierce moves closer to Bucky and suddenly strikes him hard in the face.

"The man and woman on the bridge... Who are they?" Bucky asks.

"You met the girl earlier this week on another assignment" Piece replies.

"I knew them" Pierce sits in front of him.

"Your work has been a gift to mankind. You shaped the century, and I need you to do it one more time. Society is at a tipping point between order and chaos. Tomorrow morning we're gonna give it a push. But, if you don't do your part, I can't do mine, and HYDRA can't give the world the freedom it deserves."

"But I knew them" Pierce turns to the scientists.

"Prep him."

"He's been out of cryo-freeze too long."

"Then wipe him and start over" the scientists strap Bucky in his chair and then place a teeth shield in his mouth as they begin the process of wiping his memory he screams in pain.

---

Back in the secret facility, Fury is looking at a photo of Pierce.

"This man declined the Nobel Peace Prize. He said, "Peace wasn't an achievement, it was a responsibility." See, it's stuff like this that gives me trust issues" Fury replies.

"We have to stop the launch," Nat says.

"I don't think the Council's accepting my calls anymore" Fury opens a case containing three chips.

"What's that?" Sam asks.

"Once the Helicarriers reach three thousand feet, they'll triangulate with Insight satellites becoming fully weaponised," Maria says.

"We need to breach those carriers and replace their targeting blades with our own" Fury says.

"One or two won't cut it. We need to link all three carriers for this to work because if even one of those ships remains operational a whole lot of people are gonna die" Maria explains.

"We have to assume everyone aboard those carriers is HYDRA. We need to get past them, insert the server blades, and maybe, just maybe, we can salvage what's left..." Fury says.

"We're not salvaging anything. We're not just taking down the carriers, Nick, we're taking down SHIELD" Steve says.

"SHIELD had nothing to do with it."

"You gave me and {Y/N} this mission, this is how it ends. SHIELD's been compromised, you said so yourself. HYDRA grew right under your nose and nobody noticed."

"Why do you think we're meeting in this cave? I noticed.

"And how many paid the price before you did?"

"Look, I didn't know about Barnes."

"Even if you have, would you have told me? Or would you have compartmentalised that too? SHIELD, HYDRA, it all goes."

"He's right," Maria says, Fury looks at Natasha then Sam.

"Don't look at me. I do what they do, just slower" Sam replies.

"Well... Looks like you're giving the orders now, Captain" Fury says.

*Flashback*

"Oh, come on Short stack, he'll be happy to see you, he does love you after all," James says nudging {Y/N} with his elbow, she turns to him and smacks him over the head "ow! What was that for?" he asks rubbing his head.

"I don't think now is the time to say that. And I'm pretty sure he wants to be alone and not in the presence of your stupidness" James places a hand on his chest, gasping dramatically.

"How dare you," he says a smile forming on his lips, {Y/N} rolls her eyes, James spots Steve and quickly runs over to him with {Y/N} trailing behind "we looked for you after. Our folks wanted to give you a ride from the cemetery."

"I know, I'm sorry. I just... kind of wanted to be alone" Steve replies as they all walk together.

"See, I told you, James" {Y/N} says, Steve smiles a little, he'd be lying if he said he didn't have a crush on the younger Barnes sibling. Everything about her was amazing in his eyes, but he never had the courage to tell her that he liked her. James rolls his eyes at his sister's 'I told you so' and starts mumbling something under his breath, {Y/N} looks to Steve "how was it?"

"It was ok. She's next to Dad" Steve replies.

"I was gonna ask..." James pipes up but is cut off by Steve.

"I know what you're gonna say, Buck. I just..." Steve starts but cuts himself off by shaking his head.

"We can put the couch cushions on the floor like when we were kids. It'll be fun. All you gotta do is shine my shoes, maybe take out the trash" James says as they arrive at Steve's apartment door, {Y/N} sighs quietly as Steve tries to find his keys, she bends down and picks up the brick that held a key underneath and gives it to Steve "come on, it'll be fun, even {Y/N} here will be there" Steve thinks for a moment before shaking his head once again.

"Thank you, Buck, but I can get by on my own."

"The thing is... you don't have to" {Y/N} says wrapping her arms around Steve "we're all here with you till the end of the line" she pulls away and places a kiss on his cheek, James pats his shoulder.

"She's right pal, we're with you till the end of the line" with that the two siblings walk side by side back home.

---

~Bread 🍞