Pirates & Hostages

"Natasha, what's your status?" Steve asks... there's no response, he helps {Y/N} stand "status, Natasha?" a few moments pass before he nods to {Y/N} they both start walking soon catching up with Rumlow who's stood in front of a door accompanied by a few agents "on my mark" Steve holds up three fingers "three...two...one" the agents that were behind them shoot the pirates that were coming up the stairs. Once the door opens Rumlow runs inside killing the head pirate.

*Time skip*

{Y/N} smashes through the window followed by Steve, as he hits the ground {Y/N} is already halfway down the hall suddenly Rumlow's voice come through Steve's earpiece.

"Romanoff missed the rendezvous point, Captain. Hostiles are still in play" Steve shakes his head and jogs after {Y/N} while trying to contact Natasha.

"Nat, Batroc's on the move. Circle back to Rumlow and protect the hostages" there's no response "Natasha!" Steve comes to a halt as he sees both Batroc and {Y/N} a few feet in front of him.

"So, you're the girl that everyone has been talking about" Batroc smirks "and from that little fight we just had I thought you'd be more than a mask" {Y/N} puts her shield on her back and unclips her mask dropping it to her side a small smirk forming on her lips.

"Let's find out" she runs towards him and they both start fighting, seconds later she grabs him by the shirt and throws him through the wall, Steve runs over to Batroc followed by {Y/N}, Steve looks up to see Natasha leaning over a computer, Natasha looks over.

"Well, this is awkward" Natasha mumbles.

"What are you doing?" Steve asks.

"Backing up the hard drive, it's a good habit to get into" Nat replies shrugging.

"Rumlow needed your help. What the hell are you doing here?" Steve asks walking up to her, {Y/N} follows "your saving SHIELD intel."

"Whatever I can get my hands on."

"Our mission is to rescue hostages," Steve says, anger starting to slowly bubble inside him.

"No. That's your mission" Natasha says as she grabs the flash drive and turns to Steve "and you've done it beautifully" she walks past him and he grabs her arm.

"You just jeopardised this whole mission."

"I think that overstating things" {Y/N} quickly turns, shield in hand and knocks the bomb Batroc had thrown to the side, Steve jumps through a window pulling Natasha with him {Y/N} jumps through after them just as the bomb goes off "ok, that ones on me."

"You're damn right" Steve growls, he gets up and storms off, {Y/N} sighs and slowly pulls herself up.

"Hey, you ok?" Nat asks, {Y/N} nods.

"Yeah, I'm fine" Nat nods and they both walk after Steve.

*Time Skip*

"You can't stop yourself from lying, can you?" Steve asks walking into Fury's office, Fury looks up.

"I didn't lie. Agent Romanoff had a different mission then yours" Fury replies shrugging his shoulders.

"Which you didn't feel obliged to share?" Steve asks now standing in front of Fury's desk in which he is sat, {Y/N} walks up to, Steve and looks up at him.

"He's not obliged to do anything, Steve," she says, he looks at her with squinted eyes and she crosses her arms.

"Those hostages could've died!" he snarls.

"Yes, I know but they didn't... do you know why? That man right there..." she points to Fury "...sent out the greatest soldier in history that I know, to make sure that didn't happen."

"Soldiers trust each other, that's what makes an army. Not a bunch of guys running around and shooting guns" Steve growls storming out of the office, {Y/N} sighs.

"You know" Fury starts "the last time I trusted someone I lost an eye" he points to his eyepatch "but just to let you know, he's wrong about me I do share I'm nice like that" {Y/N} smiles a bit as Fury steps into the elevator waving her over.

"Captain Barnes doesn't have clearance for project insight."

"Director overdrive, Fury, Nicholas, J."

"Confirmed" the elevator ride soon turns into an awkward silence.

"You know, they used to play music" {Y/N} whispers, Fury lets out a chuckle before speaking.

"Yeah, my grandfather operated one of these things for forty years."

"Really?"

"Mhm, he worked in a nice building, got tips. He'd walk home every night, roll of ones stuffed in his lunch bag. He'd say 'Hi', people would say 'Hi' back. Time went on, neighbourhood got rougher. He'd say 'Hi', they'd say 'Keep on steppin.' Grandad got to grippin' that lunch bag a little tighter."

"Did he ever get mugged?"

"Every week some punk would say, 'What's in the bag?'"

"What'd he do?"

"He'd show 'em. A bunch of crimpled up ones and loaded 0.22 Magnum. Grandad loved people. But he didn't trust them very much" {Y/N} looks out the window "yeah, I know. They're a little bigger than a 0.22" the elevator stops and they walk out "this is project insight. Three next-generation Helicarriers synced to a network of targeting satellites."

"Launched from the Lemurian Star."

"Once we got them in the air they never need to come down. Continuous suborbital flight courtesy of our new repulse engines."

"Tony?"

"Well, he had a few suggestions once he got a closer look at the old turbines. These new long-range precision guns can eliminate a thousand hostiles a minute the satellites can read a terrorist's DNA before he steps outside his spider hole. We're gonna neutralise a lot of threats before they even happen."

"I thought punishment usually came after the crime."

"We can't afford to take that long."

"Who's we?"

"After New York, I convinced the World Security Council we needed a quantum surge in threat analysis. For once we're way ahead of the curve."

"By holding a gun at everyone on Earth and calling it protection?"

"You know, I read those SSR files. Greatest generation? You guys did some nasty stuff."

"Yeah, we compromised. Sometimes in ways that made us not sleep so well. But we did it so the people could be free."

"SHIELD takes the world as it is, not as we'd like it to be. It's getting damn near for Steve to get with that program, Barnes" {Y/N}'s phone buzzes, she pull it out to see a text from Steve.

"Well, I wouldn't hold your breath, Fury" with that {Y/N} walks away.

---

~Bread 🍞