The Sokovia Accords

Movie: Captain America: Civil War

"Eleven Wakandans were among those killed during a confrontation between the Avengers and a group of mercenaries in Lagos, Nigeria last month. The traditionally reclusive Wakandans were on an outreach mission in Lagos when the attack occurred. 'Our people's blood is spilled on foreign soil..." Steve sits at his desk a look of sorrow spread across his face as he watches the news "not only because of the actions of criminals but by the indifference of those pledged to stop them. Victory at the expense of the innocent... is no victory at all.' The Wakandans king went on to say..." Steve pauses it and sits there staring at the table.

"They are operating outside and above the international law. Because that's the reality if we don't respond to acts like these..." Steve turns around to see {Y/N} sitting on Wanda's bed with Wanda herself sitting next to her "what legal authority does an enhanced individual like Wanda Maximoff have, to operate in Nigeria...?" {Y/N} looks over her shoulder to see Steve leaning against the door frame.

"It's my fault," Wanda says as Steve mover int the room and sits behind {Y/N}.

"That's not true" Steve replies.

"Turn the TV back on, they're being very specific," Wanda says turning to look at both {Y/N} and Steve.

"I should've clocked that bomb vest long before you had to deal with it" {Y/N} says looking down at her hands "Rumlow said Bucky..." {Y/N} laughs quietly shaking her head "and all of a sudden I was a fifteen-year-old kid again, in Brooklyn" Steve and Wanda look at her "and people died... it's on me" Wanda scoots closer to her.

"It's on both of us," Wanda says taking {Y/N}'s metal hand in her hands.

"This job... we try to save as many people as we can. Sometimes that doesn't mean everybody. But if we can't find a way to live with that... then next time... maybe nobody gets saved" Steve says, Wanda looks to see Vision coming through the wall.

"Vis! We talked about this."

"Yes, but the door was open, so I assumed that..." {Y/N}, Steve and Wanda just stare at him "Captain Rogers wished to know when Mr Stark was arriving."

"Thank you. We'll be right down" Steve says.

"I'll use the door" Vision starts walking off but stops "oh, and apparently he's brought a guest."

"We know who it is?" {Y/N} asks, Vision thinks for a moment before answering.

"The Secretary of State" with that Vision walks off.

*Time skip*

"Five years ago I had a heart attack and dropped right in the middle of my backswing" Secretary Ross positions his arms as if he were playing golf, {Y/N} looks at him strangely as she sits at the end of the table, Tony on her far left, Steve, Natasha and Rhodes also on her left while Sam, Vision and Wanda sit on her right with Secretary Ross at the other end of the table "turned out it was the best round of my life, because after thirteen hours of surgery and a triple bypass I found something forty years in the Army had never taught me... perspective. The world owes the Avengers an unpayable debt. You have fought for us... protected us, risked your lives, but while a great many see you as heroes... there are some who'd prefer the word vigilantes."

"What word would you use, Mr Secretary?" Nat asks.

"How about dangerous? What would you call a group of US-based, enhanced individuals who routinely ignore sovereign borders and inflict their will wherever they choose and who frankly, seem unconcerned about what they leave behind?" the room goes silent as the Secretary brings up a visual map "New York" a video start playing of the destruction that happened in New York, {Y/N} notices Rhodes turning to look at Natasha and Steve "Washington, D.C" another video plays showing what had gone down, Sam looks down at his lap "Sokovia" the video shows people scurrying away as the city start flying, Wanda bites the inside of her lip as she watches "Legos" {Y/N} turns away and looks down at her hands.

"Ok. That's enough" Steve says, the Secretary nods.

"For the past four years, you've operated with unlimited power and no supervision. That's an arrangement the governments of the world, can no longer tolerate. But I think we have a solution" the Secretary's guard hands him a book in which he hands to Wanda who takes it "The Sokovia Accords. Approved by one hundred and seventeen countries it states that the Avengers..." Wanda flicks through the book before sliding it over to Rhodes "shall no longer be a private organisation. Instead, they'll operate under the supervision of a United Nations panel only when and if that panel deems it necessary."

"The Avengers were formed to make the world a safer place. I feel we've done that" {Y/N} says looking up staring Secretary Ross in the eye.

"Tell me, Captain, do you know where Thor and Banner are right now?" {Y/N} doesn't reply "if I misplaced a couple of thirty megaton nukes you can bet there'd be consequences. Compromise. Reassurance. That's how the world works. Believe me, this is the middle ground."

"So, there are contingencies," Rhodes says.

"Three days from now, the UN meets in Vienna to ratify the Accords" out of the corner of her eye {Y/N} sees Steve glance at Tony "talk it over."

"And if we come to a decision you don't like?" Nat asks.

"Then you retire" Nat smiles a little and looks away.

--

CLEVELAND

A man sits at a cramped table eating when suddenly he hears a vehicle crashing outside, he stops and goes over to the window pulling the blind back a little to see a man looking at his crashed car, he turns to spot the man in the window, the blinds snap shut.

"Hello? Is this your car out front?" the man inside doesn't respond "I jumped the kerb, maybe we could..." the man looks over at his gun "take care of it ourselves, if you wanna call the cops, that's ok, too I guess."

"No, no cops."

"Thank you!" the man unlocks his door and opens it to suddenly be punched in the face.

---

~Bread 🍞